Tried to Cancel today but could not- lines all full

the same is happening here...please be patient...its not the end of the world.
Mainstreet said:
I talked to several customers who were wanting to switch. (We sell both services)

In most cases, switching meant giving up something that they didn't want to be without, such as closer Distant Networks (Dallas/Denver), Superstations, or they didn't qualify now for Distants, but were grandfathered with DISH.

Another example would be the pricing if the customer has AT180 on DISH and wants to keep the Golf channel, Westerns (&Encore Thematics) and/or Outdoor Channel. They would have to take D*'s Total Choice Plus package along with Starz! and the Sports pack. The total cost per month would be significantly higher on DirecTV just to keep those channels.

Just be sure of exactly what channels you are still going to be getting before jumping ship to D*.

I have a couple of customers who are still going to switch if this is not resolved by the weekend.

fbruno said:
The ethical issue is that for a change of this magnitude (at least as I perceive it) they should give you an out if you don't agree. Thats pretty much it. I have nothing against Charlie trying to save money so Dish looks cheap for new subscribers, however, if they drop the only value I see in having DISH, I want out. If they did REALLY care about their customers, they would offer an out. However, we are just bargaining chips so that the stock price looks good. The dealings between VIACOM and DISH are not unethical. However treating your customers like poker chips is. IMHO.

Change of this magnitude? Let see, we have some music channels, largely comprised of behavior I don't want my children to see. A couple of Kids channels, nice one's, but there are several others.. And CBS, a linkage that should have never been made and I think Viacom made it.

Then there is the issue of the significant over-reaction to all this, this is all going to be done in a day or two, maybe three. Even Congress chided them today for the whole thing, and I suspect they are worried about further action if they don't get their acts together.. Specially Viacom.. They have more to Worry about I think then giving Echostar a more reasonable deal.

I don't see anything in this that in the first two days that Dish should throw their contractual agreements out the window and give you all an out when it may all be over before you get the ink dry on the signup sheet for another service. If I recall in my area, Time_Warner cable had a *3 month* dispute that lost them ABC and I think Foxsports.. This maybe lucky to last a week.

fslove said:
Your in dreamland if you think all those cable satellite companies will do anything collectively! And Echostar surely does have leverage! With 1.9 million less CBS network subs and 9 million less cable subs Viacom will have to refund huge amount of advertising dollars to the advertisers who have paid for those 1.9 million CBS network and 9 million cable subs. That is the only type of leverage that works with these greedy corporations.

Dreamland or not, trying to stand up to these behemoths by yourself is not going to work. If the deal Viacom is offering is bad for Dish, it's bad for the other providers as well. I do agree with Mr. Ergen. There has to be change. But IMO it has to be collective. Whether that is wishful thinking or just dreaming, that's what needs to happen. These greedy corporations look at the bottomline. If most people affected simply move over to another company for their missing channels, that would minimize their loss. At least that is probably why Viacom is asking folks to switch their service. But imagine that dreamland where there was SOME solidarity between providers. Now that's leverage.
Bubba04

Well Disney should be happy with all the Nicksters that have switched over during this terrible crisis. I am sort of happy I don't have endless replays of Fairly Oddparents, SpongeBob and Jimmy Nuetron going on. Oh Yea no RUGRATS Woo HOO...

No problem getting them to start their homework now:)

Mainstreet said:
Geeze! Can you say "knee jerk" reaction. What has this sue happy world came to?

They are not asking for money. They are suing for the right to cancel without being charged $240, a perfectly reasonable request. (BTW, DirecTV charges only $150 for early term, and waives it if equipment is returned.)

Yeah yeah. The users agreement that we all "signed" says "programming subject to change". That does not make it right. And, the courts might just make that little point a deal-breaker. After all, why should a provider be able to change their part of the deal, but the user is penalized for wanting to change his?

In a poll on this forum, 51% of respondents thought that Dish should allow early termination without penalty. I don't think they are all knee-jerk reactionaries.

With Viacom being so stuborn about this issue and telling people to switch to Direct tv or cable it makes me wonder if they have any intentions of ever giving the channels back to Dish. If they do they may be cutting their own throats because there's no gaurantee if people leave they will go with any provider at the moment. And if they let Dish have these channels back soon Viacom will look like fools. (Again)

GaryPen said:
They are not asking for money. They are suing for the right to cancel without being charged $240, a perfectly reasonable request. (BTW, DirecTV charges only $150 for early term, and waives it if equipment is returned.)

Yeah yeah. The users agreement that we all "signed" says "programming subject to change". That does not make it right. And, the courts might just make that little point a deal-breaker. After all, why should a provider be able to change their part of the deal, but the user is penalized for wanting to change his?

In a poll on this forum, 51% of respondents thought that Dish should allow early termination without penalty. I don't think they are all knee-jerk reactionaries.
So what? So they can't watch their "favorite channel" for a couple days. It will all be resolved before long, and all of this will be a moot point. The point is - they DID sign the agreement that said that programming and packages were subject to change WITHOUT NOTICE. If they really didn't agree to that, they should not have signed it. They didn't HAVE to get the FREE equipment and FREE installation. That's what a 'promotional' offer is. It means that the customer gets something (equipment and install) in return for a monthly payment for a specified amount of time (one year). The equipment and install definitely has a cost to it, so it doesn't make sense that someone should not have to pay for that cost if they don't fulfill their end of the bargain. Again, the customer GOT what they signed the contract for (equipment and install), and the contract did not guarantee that they would always have the same programming that they signed up for. The line right above the signature line on all of the contracts is in bold and all caps, and says that all prices and programming is subject to change without notice. Apparently, people don't read what they are agreeing to anymore. And, if you are not willing to agree to what you are signing, for goodness sake, don't sign it!

Like I said before, if people would just be patient, this will all be over in a short period.

BTW, I grew up in a family that (by choice) didn't have television at all. It is amazing what people can get done by not watching TV. Kids can actually USE their minds by doing other activities than sitting in front of the tube.

I do have three kids, and although they really don't like the fact that they don't have Nick and Noggin, there are PLENTY of channels to fill the void.

My daughter came down to watch MTV and wondered why it was gone. I explained it to her and that it would probably be back in a few days of tough stubborn negotiations because the first losers would be Viacom with all that revenue loss and their stock going down. Dish would lose if it goes on for more than 2 weeks. Her answer to the MTV loss... She shut the system down and said, "I'm going surfing," grabbed her board and left. Priorities, Gotta love them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts