Trouble shoot a Skyjacker reed sensor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

White Cobra

Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
A few days ago we had a bad storm and I lost power for 8-9 hours. Today I turned on my Uniden UST300 stand alone positioner and all stored sat positions were gone! Using remote , I have manually moved dish and stored 3 sat positions. When I try to chose a sat, I get a actuator error and the dish doesn't move. I have checked dish for signs of lighting damage and found none. I removed cover for the Skyjack 24" arm to check sensor and wires for damage and found none. Only thing I found that may be a problem is: the sensor is mounted to a board and is loose. I slightly pulled on sensor and it came out of the circuit board. The solder is not holding the wires. It had a glob of glue but it was not even touching the sensor. How would I go about checking if the sensor is good or bad. I know how to use a volt meter! What should I be checking for? I know that they are around 30$, but I may try to resolder and test that. Anyone have any ideas?

With the sensor connected to an Ohm Meter, place a magnet close to the Sensor, you should see the Ohm Meter move.

OK, I will give that a try tomorrow. I just took reed sensor out and re soldered the connections and that didn't work. I will also twist the 2 wires for it together at dish and check for continuance at the positioner.

Update

Update: I checked the reed sensor as instructed and it is good. I checked the wires for continuance and wires are good. I have a VBOX that I was not using so I decided to test that. Once sat positions were stored, it is working like it should! The problem is in the Uniden UST300 stand alone positioner! While out at the dish, I noticed some of the square tubing that is part of the framing of the dish is now rounded and the paint is coming off, so I think lighting has hit or run in through the dish!!

At least I have found the problem. I will be buying a new positioner because I don't like the VBOX. It tends to drift off sats. That is why I was not using it. But it will work for now. I will also be grounding the whole setup!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)