Trouble using 6.0 IR/UHF and 21.0 remotes for TV2 on 722K receiver.

scirdan

Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I have a 722k receiver and I have "TV2" connected to 2 TVs in 2 rooms with a splitter. I have the 21.0 IR remote that came with the new receiver and I have an old 6.0 IR/UHF as well. I am trying to set up one for one room and one for the other room. I am having a weird problem that I can't figure out.

The receiver was set to 1/IR for primary and 2/bandB for secondary address. The 21.0 remote was matched so it worked fine. I know the 6.0 remote can only do bandA so my plan was to set up the receiver to use 3/bandA for secondary and set up both remotes to do the same thing.

I set up secondary to use 3/bandA and I did the same with the remotes. I confirmed the system info screen shows 3/A. When I do this, the 6.0 works fine but the 21.0 remote works extremely sporadically. Only if I hold it a certain way, I practically need to walk into the room with the receiver to get it to work. I tried all sorts of odd channels (band A) and I always see the same results.

Am I doing something wrong? if I set the 21.0 remote to an (even) bandB it works perfect.. It basically seems that bandA doesnt have good reception for me, does this make any sense? I must be missing or not understanding something about this.. can anyone help? Is there a trick?

Matt Gonzales with DISH Network here. It sounds like you're doing everything right, so the only solution I can think of would be getting another 21.0 remote so that you can have both operating on band B. If you want to send me a private message with your account number/phone number I'll see what I can do about getting you another 21.0.

Thanks for your response. It is really weird that the Band A doesn't seem to work. Frustrating too.. You think its possible there some kind of frequency interference with the Band A frequency range? I assume its not far from Band B in spectrum.. I think its not worth my time trying to get that old 6.0 remote working, maybe it is easier to get a new one...

I've seen some strange things that cause interference (ceiling fans, garage door openers), but since we know that the 21.0 remote will work on band B, the simplest solution would be a new remote. The next recommendations would be either make a pigtail (which is an extension for the UHF antenna on the back of the receiver), or have the remote antenna back-fed through your home (so the antenna would be near your TV2). Feel free to private message me with account details and I can set up the new remote order for you if you wish.

other things that cause interference: security systems, old cordless phones, some tvs, metal tv stands, rec in a cabinet with alot of other electronic equip

also sometimes just adjusting the angle of the ant on the rec will help

FWIW, band B works much better for me than band A. Messing with the antenna didn't make any difference for me. It's worth getting a band B remote IMO. They're pretty cheap on ebay. I've got a few spares myself. PM me if you want one cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)