trouble viewing all forums with IE8

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I have been having problems with this site using IE 8. Everything is fine using FireFox
Any one else having any problems? Is there a setting that I can check/change?

I used to use MSIE all the time (since the day it was launched as a free web browser, a rarity at the time), but at some point I ran into compatibility trouble with several sites including SatelliteGuys. This was way back. Since then I have been using FireFox as a primary browser. I don't know what it is about MSIE, but I personally had (and still have) compatibility issues with many sites.

I also have the problem viewing the site on IE8, my compatibility mode is off. Here´s how it looks, given that I couldn´t solve the problem I use the forum on Google Chrome and everything runs smoothly.
Nonetheless, let me know if you come up with a solution for IE8, even though I realize maybe it´s time for me to upgrade it.
upload_2014-6-5_11-16-55.png

Mine looks exactly like that on IE9. Using Chrome it looks fine, but I too would like to figure this out because I prefer IE.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Same reason I quit using IE years ago.

Reactions: Rey
Sorry I contacted Xenforo and they said to use a more up to date browser. There is nothing I can change to fix it. I guess the next update they do will have a popup telling you that your browser is unsupported. Wish I had something better to say...

Although what I do find strange is we do have a lot of people here using IE8 and IE9 as I can see what OS and Browser people are using. So not sure why it works for some and not others.

Is there a setting that I can check/change?
Go into "default programs" in Windows and click on Firefox and click "set this program as default" SatelliteGuys should work fine now and in the foreseeable future.

The only reason I can think of to use IE is for SaaS applications that won't work with anything else. Anything in the Microsoft Dynamics family probably falls under this category.

I can confirm that IE7 gives the same results.

How many are coming in on XP verses Vista or Win 7 and IE 8/9. 9 shipped with Windows 7 I believe, maybe a lot never upgraded.

I also have the problem viewing the site on IE8, my compatibility mode is off. Here´s how it looks, given that I couldn´t solve the problem I use the forum on Google Chrome and everything runs smoothly.
Nonetheless, let me know if you come up with a solution for IE8, even though I realize maybe it´s time for me to upgrade it.
View attachment 97993

This is exactly how mine looks with IE8 & XP
My home pc is windows 7 & IE11...........works fine

View attachment 97993

Same issue for me on IE8 running W7 on my work computer. No ability to upgrade to a different browser. That really sucks. Once I'm in a thread it looks fine, but it is a huge pain in the butt to try to see what threads are there. Makes the site essentially unusable for me during the day. :( What is really strange is that it worked just fine on the beta site and I believe a little after the actual go-live, but I'm not positive about that. However I'm 100% sure that it worked just fine with beta. That tells me that there is something that had to have changed.

Sorry I contacted Xenforo and they said to use a more up to date browser.
Good answer. No one can reasonably expect software to run on all older versions of browsers, operating systems, etc. A line has to be drawn somewhere....
Although what I do find strange is we do have a lot of people here using IE8 and IE9 as I can see what OS and Browser people are using. So not sure why it works for some and not others.
Can you tell how long they stay ? Most people run into an issue, shrug their shoulders, and move on elsewhere. The average person doesn't report problems.

Same issue for me on IE8 running W7 on my work computer. No ability to upgrade to a different browser. That really sucks. Once I'm in a thread it looks fine, but it is a huge pain in the butt to try to see what threads are there. Makes the site essentially unusable for me during the day. :( What is really strange is that it worked just fine on the beta site and I believe a little after the actual go-live, but I'm not positive about that. However I'm 100% sure that it worked just fine with beta. That tells me that there is something that had to have changed.

Whoops mis-typed that. I am actually on Windows 7 running IE9. But the point still stands. It worked for beta but not anymore.

Try the "Classic" theme/style (with IE9).

That is an interesting idea. I wonder if the generic theme would work with IE8. Perhaps if it does, the site could default to it if it detects IE8/9 and put a notice on the page somewhere that it is a stripped down version for that browser.

Thanks! That pretty much works. Ironically I cannot select either if the two support forums from that view because they are above the menu bar. But everything else seems to work.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)