Trouble with my PVR501

danix

Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
New user here. I haven't had to research or keep up with Dish tech for a few years now, since it's been so stable and works great for us.

I've had a PVR501 for around 3 years now.
Recently, I've noticed what looks like some slow motion in the picture. The audio is fine, but the video seems to drop in speed for a couple of seconds.
Since most of what we watch is buffered on the unit (for commercial skipping and potty breaks), it's hard to say if this happens in real time. I don't think it does, so I suspect the drive may be showing its age?

I have also noticed a problem with colors. At times, my picture almost seems to go towards black/white and the colors look like they were airbrushed on after. This is only on certain channels and at certain times. I don't think it's pixelization, and I know the signal is strong, no other changes on my system. I am also at the latest firmware.

I called Dish tech support and they weren't too helpful. If I want to pay an extra $5 a month plus a $50 install charge they will "give" me a new unit (lease) but I'm wondering if I should just replace the unit myself with something else.

So, my question to you folks - do these problems sound common for a 501? Do they sound like impending drive failure? And if so, what are my repair/replacement options?

Thanks.

I own it. Dish CS gave me two choices - pay $5/mo to get maintenance, plus $75 s/h and they would replace it, or switch to the lease program, something like $6.99/mo and $50 install charge.

I'm willing to buy another box (though after being a steady Dish customer for 5+ years should I really have to?), I just want to make sure these are common 501 issues. Sounds like maybe there aren't many 501s out there anymore? I see I can buy a 510 for $299 or a 522 for $359 from this site, so that's not terrible.

I would keep a 501 around or even buy a 721 b/c these units do not have the $5.00/month dvr fee. Just my opinion. You can find 501 relatively cheap if you look around a bit.

I've still got a 501. Had it for about 2 1/2 years and it has worked great!!
I am trading my 811 in for a 508, and it doesn't have the $4.98/month VOD fee either.
I would have gotten the 510, but I didn't want that extra VOD fee...

Have you done a hard boot to the 501 lately to see if that fixes the problems?

I'm sure you can find a good 501 on ebay allot cheaper than $299.00, for that money you can get a 721 which has more memory & has dual receiver capabilities. Or for less money than that, a 508 which has more memory than a 501.
Just make sure you purchase from high volume dealer with good feedback & the receiver is free and clear of any previous balances.
This is what I did & I couldn't be happier. Just know that a 721 does need 2 feeds to work.

I don't really need the 522, but I'm curious if one can be added without a monthly fee or not. This seems to be a source of some debate here.
I emailed Dish but got no reply.

The 508 is an option. What about the 510, is there a fee?

danix said:
I don't really need the 522, but I'm curious if one can be added without a monthly fee or not. This seems to be a source of some debate here.
I emailed Dish but got no reply.

The 508 is an option. What about the 510, is there a fee?

The 510 carries the stupid $5 VOD fee.

No fee = 501-508-721

Fee = 510-522-921-942

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)