Troubles Every Morning

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I made the mistake of taking on a side job which involved Installing a D500 to point at 61.5 so a customer could get their Sky Angel Network channels. Well, they already had a 121 Super Dish, so they either had to get a DP44, or go with two DP21 switches (they have a 522 on their account). They opted for the DP21 switches (with the DP34 already in place).

I installed the D500, system ran new cables to the basement, and grounded the two incomming cables using a 3GHz ground block. No problems really with the system - the check switch found all 4 sats just fine.

But since I was over there, the customer is having problems acquiring any satellites at all each morning. She says she has to unplug the inputs to the 522, run a check switch to clear the matrix, then plug them back in and run a fresh check switch. It happens EVERY MORNING. I've already been out there once to try to fix this problem, and the only thing wrong I could find with the system was poor signal strengths on the SD (then which I repeaked). I tried swapping out the DP34, and she called me again today with the same problem.

Normally I'd just start swapping out the LNB, then the reciever... but this is all free work I'm doing now, and I can't exactly give away LNBs or 522s. Anyone have any idea W T F is going on with her system?

It worked great before I got there, and now it doesn't work great. That's not a good thing. And I didn't eve TOUCH the box.

The 110, 119, and 121 inputs are grounded BEFORE the DP34 using two 3GHz ground blocks. They are grounded to a nearby cold water return. The SD has a messanger wire from the dish to the ground block, but the D500 does not. Signal strengths on the respective sats: 110: 97, 119:98, 121: 70, 61.5: 95. (all on transponder 11 except 61.5, which is transponder 2.

You will most likely have to go over some morning and see for yourself exactly what it's doing. Should be no reason to clear matrix. If it needs reset it still shouldn't need a switch check.

Sounds like user error or bad 522. let him use it for a few days with the old config. See if it still acts up.

Might try a mem dump as last resort.

I have no experience with the DP34/DP21 config. or how stable it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts