This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

True or untrue statment by Dishnetwork rep

Daytona931

Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I have not have very good luck trying to upgrade my service with dish network. The VIP 722 brochure states that I can connect an outside antenna for over the air broadcasts but when I talked to the Dish network rep yesterday they stated that I can only get my local channels through them. When I told them that I was receiving the local channels digitally using my 811 box they did not believe me and keep telling me that I was receiving the channels via analog. I ask to upgrade to the VIP 722 DVR and again they told me the only way I can get my local channels was to order them from there service. well in the end I wound up cancleing my order and I really wished I could of talked to a service rep that was here in the USA and not some country.

I really would like to of made the upgrade but the sales tech really did not know what she was talking about.

If any of you know how to connect with a sales rep from the USA and knows the equpment inside and out then I would still like to upgrade VIP 722.

I do not know what equpment will need to be changed out I have 2 dishes mounted on the house now. One is the dish 500 and a nother dish that points to the 65.1 that one is aimed eoutheast kinda pointing over the ocean. the dish 500 points southwest.

anyway this is my frist post and if this type of problem is one that should not be here then please forgive the new kid.

Thank you
Phil

Well I am using a 722 and I can say for sure that it picks up my local over the air digital broadcasts with a typical indoor antenna. I think you should be able to do the same in Daytona. Now that only works on tuner 1....tuner 2 does not feed the ota signal to tv2.
When ever I call DN I always skip past the customer service reps and talk to someone in the technical support dept. I usually end up with someone who knows a little more about whats going on.

By the way....welcome to the forums.

As far as I know, the 811 receives only Analog OTA signals - that means by next month, it goes "off air". The 722 receives Digital signals when connected to an OTA. However, there is a catch. You'll not receive the online EPG when connected to a 722. To receive the EPG feed, you need to subscribe to locals from Dish. Kinda vicious circle. Hope it helped you...

By the way, one way to reach some one who knows is thru online Tech chat from Dish web site... That's what I usually do than being kept on hold.

Your dish rep was pretty much completely wrong. (1) A 722 has an ATSC tuner, and can tune in and record OTA DTV. (2) The 811 also has an ATSC tuner, but seems to be unique in that it uses the DTV PSIP data rather than Dish's guide for local channel info. So... If the 811 could record, it would be easier than a 722 without a subscription to your locals. I am looking here.

Only difference is that with the 722 you would have to setup MANUAL timers without the programming info. But the picture will come in just fine.
As long as you get a regular 722 and not a 722K. The K series is supposed to arrive with NO digital tuner.

But you can add OTA module that will allow recording 2 OTA's at once.

CSR's can be pretty ignorant. I was once told I couldn't DVR OTA material. SOunds like the same rep.

S~

Let's clarify this. The ViP722 has two satellite tuners and one ATSC OTA tuner. That's three INPUTS. All three inputs can handle HD signals of the appropriate type.

TV1 & TV2 are OUTPUTS. Your use of "tuner 1" and "tuner 2" seems to be such that you mean "TV1" & "TV2."

The TV1 output has both HD capable and SD connectors. All are live at the same time. The TV2 output only has SD outputs. The ATSC OTA tuner input can be fed directly to TV1, or to the DVR. TV2, for whatever reason, cannot connect to the ATSC OTA tuner directly. But it can connect to the DVR, and that is how you watch OTA on TV2. Simply start recording the OTA signal to the DVR, using TV1. You can then access the recording in progress on TV2, just a few seconds delayed.

I want to thank all of you for your information. Its been a big help. and just in case you want to know the 811 does receive both analog and digital. It just can not receive the new HD channels because its MPEG 2 and I think the new HD channels are now MPEG 4.

Very true...I often watch "live" delayed recorded OTA shows on tv2.

to SatelliteGuys Daytona...

Yes, the new HD channels for Dish are MPEG-4. That's why the 811 has "gone away." But OTA digital (HD & otherwise) is based on MPEG-2, not -4, so it could continue to be of some use.

811 uses dish guide, it just doesn't block it out if you don't sub to locals.