Truncated, losted, and missing morning recordings

Kirk Strong

Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Truncated, lost, and missing morning recordings

I've been experiencing a problem were morning recordings are truncated (ie a recording is not being completed for the entire length of the program).

This problem has been occurring on and off for the past several months, and although the problem had disappeared for a while, the issue has come back again. To that point, this morning's GMA recording was broken up into four pieces, but ususally what happens is the recording is cut to about 40 minutes long.

Receiver is ViP622. I've had the same unit for at least two years, the unit has not been moved from it's current location within the past 10 months, and the installation was performed by a dish network installer.

More details...

I am eligible for ABC distance networks. I record the 4a (PT) WABC Good Morning America followed by the 6a PT KGO Local news. I also record the West Coast edition of the Today show at 7a PT, though this program does not get truncated (though typically we've had the TV on by now and are now watching what's left of the earlier shows).

I've noticed that recordings have been truncated on rare occasions in the past, but in the past few weeks, the frequency of truncated recordings is growing...it's now at least 3-4 times per week.

We have had clear weather recently, and to that point I've never had a rain fade drop out on any other recording, so I know I have strong signal strength.

The system is on a UPS and since it happens almost every morning, I know it's not a problem with supplied power.

Once I saw an error message (I think it was the 005 - not authorized) captured at the end of a recording, but mostly there is no error message...the recording just stops.

I've noticed that this problem only occurs only on morning recordings. The receiver's nightly reboot is set at 1a (PT), so I know that reboot conflict is not the problem (truncated recording starts at 4a (PT).

I'vw performed a power reset, and I've even powered down to reseat the smart card, but the problem continues. I'm really suspicious that this is a sofware bug and not some type of hardware fault as the the unit has been running for a couple of years without issue and all afternoon and evening recordings occur without issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to contact Dish Network but thought I'd give the forums one more try before I called.

Last edited:
Truncated Recordings Update

I was able to work around the "truncated recordings" problem by doing two things:
1. Moving the auto reboot time 15 minutes earlier...from 1a PT to 12:45a PT
2. Record a 1 hour program first thing in the morning each day (I chose HNN's Prime News on channel 202)...which starting at 1a (or sometimes 1:10a) PT.

Since I've done these two things, I've gone an entire week without any truncated recordings where before I would have already seen 2 or 3 in this time frame.

I have the same intermittent issue with a 622 but only on Sunday mornings. The unit was recently switched out for an unrelated issue and the new one does the same thing. I never had the problem until about six months ago, so I think it is a software issue.

I record NBC's morning Today show (4 hours), and have seen the same problem for several weeks. I use a VIP 722. I seem to only notice the problem only on weekdays, and only between 7 and 10 AM Central time. Some weeks it happens 4 out of 5 days; some weeks, not at all.

As Kirk Strong reported, I've seen the 005 error a few times, but usually nothing. Since I always get at least the first 20-40 minutes of the show, I haven't been too upset, though I would be concerned if I noticed the problem during recordings at any other time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts