Try to keep me as customer???

cloverboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I have Top 180 with a 522. I was thinking about switching to cable and was wondering, what do you think Dish would offer me to stay as a customer if I called up to cancel my account????

Do you think they would take money off, better equipment, or just tell me goodbye??

I tried this with Adelphia cable once and they told me to enjoy my satellite dish.
As a matter of fact, the girl that took my call at Adelphia said she had satellite and loved it! How 'bout that??

cloverboy

And how long you've been a customer, do you use credit card autopay, ever missed payments or had a dispute with Dish.

Yea if you have ever been late on a payment they'll even put your shoes on for you as you walk out the door they're holding open and go so far as to put gas in your car and wish you a fond farewell.

If your in good standing then they most likely will offer two movie packages free for three months or one of they're idea's as to what an upgrade is and it will only cost you $200. Unless your local cable co can offer you a better monthly price for longer than a year your better off staying with the dish atleast insofar as they are cheaper.

Just depends on what you want to do. I'm sure they will do some kind of upgrade or something for you. Going to cable is really a step backwards.

Just depends on what you want to do. I'm sure they will do some kind of upgrade or something for you. Going to cable is really a step backwards.
Not for me, and many folks who live in upgraded areas.

Cloverboy- Also ask your cable company if THEY will offer you anything special to switch from Dish. Many offer big discounts for 1-2 years.

Gary- you sleep in the same house as that cat?

Got it from the house of Satan? ;)

We'll See

Well, I've had Dish for almost two years. Never missed a payment or was late. Have the Top 180, no premiums, nothing special, just DHPP.

I have one 522 for two rooms hooked up. That's it. I had an 811 also when I started but got sick of moving around an antenna to bring in the local HD stations. The picture on the SD channels looked bad on the 811 so I sent it back and told them to keep it. I never watched the other HD channels because it was a pain to change to a different box, then change my TV input, etc. Ok, maybe I'm a touch lazy, doesn't make me a bad person eh?

As for cable, they have NO promotions right now and nothing to offer me to get me to switch over. The Time Warner guy told me that they are the "Cadillac of entertainment." I told him all I wanted to pay for was a Toyota!

I really miss the HD and with cable, all the locals are included and none of the above trouble. Compared, I can get 2 HD/DVR's and all the same channels for about $13 more a month.

Just was wondering if they would offer me a "wonderful" deal to keep me or wave as I leave. If I call to cancel, will I be talking to a call center in India????

cloverboy

I was with dish for 5 years, on CCAP, AEP then HD Platinum packages, never missed a payment etc. When I left, the offerred me absolutely nothing. Two days later, they called and offerred me 6 months of all movie channels free and $10 a month off my bill for 1 year(of any package I choose to come back with).

Told them theyd have a deal if they waived all DVR fees for my account for life. Said they could waive them for 1 year. I told them to call back when they had a real offer and improved the HD picture quality.

They will offer a customer that never had issues and a lower monthly programming package a better deal than they will for someone that pays annually for several years with a high priced package that had many issues.

As otheres have touched on. I would see what your local cable company offers, if they have a better deal or price than Dish switch. Ask your neighbors go look at their sets and see if you like the PQ. I have had all Three(E*, Direct, and Cable) and I personaly prefer Dishnetwork.

I have Top 180 with a 522. I was thinking about switching to cable and was wondering, what do you think Dish would offer me to stay as a customer if I called up to cancel my account????

Do you think they would take money off, better equipment, or just tell me goodbye??

I tried this with Adelphia cable once and they told me to enjoy my satellite dish.
As a matter of fact, the girl that took my call at Adelphia said she had satellite and loved it! How 'bout that??

cloverboy
Quite possibly because Adelphia was about ready to go out of business...

Comcast gave me $400.00 to come back from dish .They call it a dish buy back . $ 25 credit for 16 months Not bad. ( I do miss dish and will be back in 4 months )

Yea if you have ever been late on a payment they'll even put your shoes on for you as you walk out the door they're holding open and go so far as to put gas in your car and wish you a fond farewell.

Aint that the truth. Worse yet, let your account be disconnected for 14 days and go into hard disconnect and you really won't be able to get them to offer you anything to stay!

I did it...

Well, I went with Time Warner Cable. They gave me two HD/DVR's one for each TV I have, 49.99 mo. for three months, and a $200 rebate. Not a bad deal.

I just called Dish to cancel, and after talking to someone who I could barely understand, he transferred me to someone who profoundly sounded like he was going to miss me.

They offered me a break on HD service, but said he couldn't waive the upfront cost of their HD/DVR. I said no thanks.

That was it. Strangely, I feel like I just broke up with a girlfriend.

By the way, the cable picture quality is 100 times better than Dish. Maybe I was living with a weak signal for a while and just didn't notice.

Oh well, who knows, maybe one night I'll get drunk and go back to my ex-girlfriend Dish.....

cloverboy

You will. Just wait till you are pissed drunk one night. You will be calling Her around 2:00am in the morning ; "DISH baby I want to come back. Come on please!!! I need you. "

I was offered a $15 discount per month, DHPP fee ($5.99) waived, free Starz or Showtime, and two Dish DVR Fees ($11.96) waived for 10 months. I was only with them 20 months, but my bill ways always paid on the date it was posted online, I purchased our own receivers, had ClubDish referals, and often corresponded with Dish CEO and Dish Quality Control regarding issues that were important to us. We enjoyed our service, but with FiOS coming to town it was impossible to say no to Adelphia/Comcast's offer of all their digital cable channels with HBO, Starz and Showtime for $29.95 per month for 12 months...plus, an additional $10 off our Internet service and a $50 Showtime/Comcast rebate.

My wife and I miss Dish Network service (cable HD DVR boxes and Guide can't compare to the 622), but it's not horrible (cable service has improved) and the HD PQ is excellent. Plus, we're under no committment with cable and the Dish Network offer is available for the next 90 days should we decided to return...to include having the $25 reconnect fee waived.

Competition is certainly good. It's nice to see the MSOs and Programmers fighting over the customers.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)