Trying dual SIM functionality on iPhone 12 for the first time

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I'm considering a switch to ATT. I wanted to try it out first and compare the coverage to my current carrier (Verizon). With an e-SIM, I'm able to use the full functionality of both carriers and compare signal levels in real time. I can also set one number as primary, one as secondary, and set primary and secondary cellular data. So far I really like this functionality.

7BA28326-332A-4BAC-903B-E16934F4D827.jpeg
672A68D8-52EB-4741-8409-04BAED99BF03.jpeg

Reactions: Foxbat
It worked so well for me that I ended up moving from Verizon Prepaid to ATT Prepaid. $50/month for Unlimited (22 GB before deprioritizing + 5G access + hotspot). I have nothing against Verizon but there were some gaps in coverage along my 45-minute drive to work every day and I need to be able to make calls during that time.

PS- I'm keeping a $25/mo Visible (Verizon) e-sim on my phone as a backup for areas where ATT has no towers. The "cellular switching" feature on iPhone 12 automatically chooses between the stronger of the two signals.

The "cellular switching" feature on iPhone 12 automatically chooses between the stronger of the two signals.
Can you disable that and choose which sim to use for data? For example, can you force the phone to use your Visible unlimited data for hotspot?

Did you join a "party" when you signed up, or do you have to find a party on your own to get the $25 price?

Thanks.

I did that when I was considering moving from AT&T to T Mobile. Worked well. So well that I did end on moving over to T Mobile saving a lot of money each month and getting faster service. :)
I'm on Mint, a subcarrier of T-Mobile. Same coverage and even cheaper!

Reactions: TheKrell
Can you disable that and choose which sim to use for data? For example, can you force the phone to use your Visible unlimited data for hotspot?

Did you join a "party" when you signed up, or do you have to find a party on your own to get the $25 price?

Thanks.

On the firsf question, yes, you can force it to use Visible for data and the other carrier for voice. Some people have a voice-only plan on one sim and a data-only plan on the other.

I don't have to join a party for the first 2 months; the promo code makes the plan $15 until November. At that point I'm moving my daughter to Visible and I'll create a party for us and invite 2 others to join

Reactions: rvvaquero
How complicated was it to get the eSIM plan going? I'm due for a phone upgrade anyway (still rocking the 6S Plus here) and am intrigued about the data only plan option. Where I live Verizon hands down has the best cell coverage as far as calls, etc. go. No 5G though, and their tower doesn't have generator power so when the power goes out everything slows to a crawl. Ideally I'd keep my Verizon plan and add a secondary data only plan with AT&T since they have 5G here.

With Visible it was all online and took less than 5 minutes. For AT&T I did it in the store, but klang was saying you can do it online.
The instructions from AT&T didn't match their current website. I just went to an AT&T store and they moved my account from the physical SIM to the eSIM. Only took a couple minutes and they didn't charge me anything. I have the card used to set up the eSIM so I can hopefully set it up on my next phone.

SIM from Visible showed up yesterday. Plugged it in and ready to go.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
How complicated was it to get the eSIM plan going?
I did it with verizon, and it was pretty simple. I think I did it via chat.

I use Verizon with my esim, and ATT with my physical sim card.

Be aware, if you get one of these on verizon, it is locked for 90 days, so you cant use both lines if one line is att for example.

You would have to buy it outright, or wait out the 90 day period. Other carriers may or may not have the same policy.

Be aware, if you get one of these on verizon, it is locked for 90 days, so you cant use both lines if one line is att for example.

Luckily, Visible doesn't have these restrictions. Verizon won't even allow e-sim with their Prepaid division!

Visible also finances phones with 0% APR via Affirm. The phones they sell are unlocked sim-free units which are the most desirable.

Last edited:
Luckily, Visible doesn't have these restrictions. Verizon won't even allow e-sim with their Prepaid division!

Visible also finances phones with 0% APR via Affirm. The phones they sell are unlocked sim-free units which are the most desirable.
I'm most likely going to go with Spectrum. I already use them for internet and my TiVo, so bundling cell phones will save some $$ on those. It'll get me Verizon Coverage at much cheaper rates than what I'm paying Verizon directly. They do the phones at 0% interest as well, so I can upgrade through them. Looking at the maps I think T-Mobile would be my best bet for a secondary data plan, if they allow that. They have strong 5G in my area.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
My only sorta complaint is Visible doesn’t display what sort of network It is using.

IMG_0004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only sorta complaint is Visible doesn’t display what sort of network It is using.

View attachment 153601

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because it isn't active for data at the moment ;) When cellular switching is in effect, or you switch over to Visible for data, it will show.

Reactions: klang

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)