Trying to build a 97w, 91w, 82w stationary dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satatak

Original poster
May 10, 2006
Hi all, my folks have a regular Bell Expressvu 20" dish with a twin lnbf picking up 91 and 82. We want to add Globecast @ 97w.

Anyone have recommendations on the easiest way to add 97 to a Bell 91, 82 setup?

First, I know that I need a bigger pan - would it be better to get an elliptical 36" x 26" dish or just a round 30" dish? I heard some say that a 30" isn't enough in the GTA area.

And what abut the LNB holder? I am guessing I'll have to Macgyver something to hold the 97w lnb. Or would one of those FTA type triple LNB holders work?

Is it possible to attach a lnb for 97 directly to the 91 lnb a la poorman's dish? I know with regular bell lnbs they are spaced 9 degrees apart.

TIA!

satatak

satatak said:
Hi all, my folks have a regular Bell Expressvu 20" dish with a twin lnbf picking up 91 and 82. We want to add Globecast @ 97w.

Anyone have recommendations on the easiest way to add 97 to a Bell 91, 82 setup?

First, I know that I need a bigger pan - would it be better to get an elliptical 36" x 26" dish or just a round 30" dish? I heard some say that a 30" isn't enough in the GTA area.

And what abut the LNB holder? I am guessing I'll have to Macgyver something to hold the 97w lnb. Or would one of those FTA type triple LNB holders work?

Is it possible to attach a lnb for 97 directly to the 91 lnb a la poorman's dish? I know with regular bell lnbs they are spaced 9 degrees apart.

TIA!

satatak

Depends on what your current strengths are for 82W right now. I'd probably just go with the two dish solution since some of those sats need a little extra help to get them reliably.

Thanks for the reply digiblur....

To be honest, 82 is not mandatory.... my main goal is to pick up 97 and 91 on a single dish - I can abandon 82 if necessary.

Get a 30" or 36" dish for 97 and aim it at IA5. Then strap (hoseclamp) the DBS LNB to the right (if you're behind the dish) for 91. I've done it for 95/91 and it worked great

see below pictures...you might be able to do 97/91/82 but its tough. If you have an oblong dish it might be easier

1st picture is a SC setup with a DBS LNB for the audio on 119
2nd is a motorized setup for KU & DBS
3rd is the 95/91 setup

Attachments

• IM000368.JPG
    IM000368.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IM000370.JPG
    IM000370.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 347
  • IM000374.JPG
    IM000374.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 358
Iceberg - You are THE MAN!! Thanks so much for those pictures - I feel much clearer about the task at hand now !! I had a feeling it would require clamping something as opposed to using a standard lnb holder due to the proximity of 97 to 91.

Any recommendations for a good, light lnb for IA5?

And what about switching... eventually the dish will be powering 4 receivers - I am guessing that I should take the 2 feeds off of the IA5 lnb and put them into some sort of switch to multiply them to 4 and then the same thing for 91, ultimately merging the 2 sats into a receiver via a diseq switch?

Thanks again,

satatak

satatak said:
Iceberg - You are THE MAN!! Thanks so much for those pictures - I feel much clearer about the task at hand now !! I had a feeling it would require clamping something as opposed to using a standard lnb holder due to the proximity of 97 to 91.
you may need to put a spacer in between them to space it out (the one I have is at 95 & 91)

Any recommendations for a good, light lnb for IA5?
honestly, I would try and get one that looks "blockish". They're easier to use the hose clamps with :) Sadoun has a good dual that is square and would work good for the DBS to be next to it.

And what about switching... eventually the dish will be powering 4 receivers - I am guessing that I should take the 2 feeds off of the IA5 lnb and put them into some sort of switch to multiply them to 4 and then the same thing for 91, ultimately merging the 2 sats into a receiver via a diseq switch?

Thanks again,

satatak
how many FTA receivers and how many Bell receivers?

You can use 3x4 multiswitches (like DirecTv uses) and run bopth lines from the LNB to the switch...voila 4 outputs :)

Sadoun has some pictures of various setups...click on the link to the left :)

Thanks for all your help Iceberg. I had a look around Sadoun - excellent site!! Here is the setup I am envisioning, including the parts I found on Sadoun that I'm looking at. The goal is to feed up to 4 separate FTA receivers. Please tell me if I'm missing the boat on anything...

First, as far as the dish goes, what do you think would be better for attempting to pick up all 3 sats (97, 91, 82) - the 36" (90 cm) Fortec star round dish, or the actual Globecast elliptical dish found here:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/GlobeCast/GlobeCast-Elliptical-Dish-LNBF.htm

So let's say I do manage to get all 3 sats coming in, each with its own dual lnb.

Both lines coming out of each lnb go into 3 2x4 switches (same as 3x4 but minus antenna input I think?) as found here:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/S-SM24-2x4-multi-switch.htm

This increases the outputs from 2 to 4 for each sat. Now take one line from each sat and feed 4 diseqc switches as found here:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/DiSEqC/SDS41C.htm

The final output is 4 feeds each carrying 97, 91 and 82, capable of supplying up to 4 individual FTA receivers.

Whaddaya think?

That'll work but you won't get much on the FTA boxes with 91 & 82...a couple free preview channels and the audio channels...you'll need your Bell boxes to get all your programming you have now :)

Damn, I didn't even think of that - my folks do have regular Bell receivers (3100s I think - might even go high-def soon). The FTA boxes are for Globecast... I kept thinking we could just switch between the two with an A/B switch but of course that is pointless if the feed coming in can only be used on FTA boxes. I'm guessing that the signal from the disecq isn't compatible with Bell receivers? So a dif setup is required to have original equipment and FTA co-exist?

it can still be done....

dang it...you have the Twin...To do this, you'll need to do some changes. Get a couple old DirecTV LNB's (or Dish duals...the Twin you have won't work right)

on each of the duals, put a 3x4 multiswitch...this gives all 3 LNB"s 4 outputs

you can combine the 91 & 82 for Bell with a SW21 switch...the Globecast can use a Diseqc switch

Iceberg said:
it can still be done....

dang it...you have the Twin...To do this, you'll need to do some changes. Get a couple old DirecTV LNB's (or Dish duals...the Twin you have won't work right)

on each of the duals, put a 3x4 multiswitch...this gives all 3 LNB"s 4 outputs

you can combine the 91 & 82 for Bell with a SW21 switch...the Globecast can use a Diseqc switch

Thanks for all your help Iceberg - this is exactly the setup I am going with. Now I have to look forward to trying to actually pick up IA5 ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)