Trying to catch up

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
It's been a while, so...

1. It is SOOOOOOOOO liberating to not have a cell phone on your person for a month. Wow. It feels like Freedom!

2. The one time someone from this side of the pond tried to get ahold of me we were in Greece, and it was like a 1950's comedy movie trying to connect back with my nephew. I pretty much knew why he called, because we knew he'd find out if he was accepted to Princeton while I was away, and I told him to call me. So when I saw there was a message from him my heart leaped with joy!

3. OK, sparing me the Lebron haters and the Lebron jock-worshipper among us...what the heck happened in the finals? When I last left our heroes, Miami was in the process of pounding Chicago into submission, Lebron was making Derrick Rose look like Roseanne Barr, and he was in the process of exorcising all of his demons from last year. Then I come back, and I find out it's worse than ever. Huh???

4. Congrats to Bill, Cosmo, Hart, and all the devout Bruin fans. Sounds like it was a wild, crazy and bizarre finals series in the NHL. One of my brothers broke into my house when I was away and was nice enough to record game seven, because he knew that it would mean that much to me, and so far I only watched the pregame and the National Anthems. Wow! That place was charged. Can't wait to watch the actual game so I can watch the Bruins win!!!

5. Hey HD, the Tribe is still in first place! I think they were building to be contenders about two years from now, so they're way ahead of schedule! Good for them. Perhaps they can be buyers next month.

6. Rioting in Vancouver? Again??? I just don't get that, but I totally called it before I went away. So strange, Vancouver is probably the most beautiful city in North America, but there is a group of very bad people who take advantage of the mob mentality and start mayhem. It's happened before.

7. I've skimmed some of the threads here...too much to read in the big threads, but some of it is too funny. :eek: Hopefully I don't sound that bad. :lalala: :D

8. Well it sounds like the Red Sox came into Yankee Stadium and punched the Yankees in the nose...again! Multple Yankees plunked by Red Sox pitchers...again! I've seen this movie before. The good news is through all this the Yankees were able to stand strong, and despite multiple injuries to the pitching staff, since that series Boston has been unable to pull away. Hopefully at some point both will work their way to 20 games over .500, and cruise into the playoffs.

9. 15 team leagues and no divisions? Huh?

10. If/when the NFL settles, it's going to get crazy in a hurry. Sooo many free agents, who will all sign in a period of probably around three days. Nmadi Asomugli and a whole bunch of others scrambling for a team in like 72 hours. Wow.

11. Sounds like Bud Selig is doing the right thing in the Dodger situation. So sad for THE profile NL franchise to go through something like this. They will come back strong, though...they're the Dodgers!

12. On a Saturday in Paris, we woke up planning to leave the city for the first time to go to a villa somewhere in the Provence countryside...except we never got there. My husband had two tickets in his pocket to the Champions League final in London, between Barcelona and Manchester United. Wow, what an atmosphere! And the new Wembley stadium is just incredible.

13. The Marlins manager quit? Like quit as in quit? Walked away quit? You don't hear that very often.

14. What the heck caused all the animosity in the Bruins/Canucks series? Sounds like it was one of the more vicious finals series in a long time. Did it start out like that, or did something happen early to trigger it?

15. So strange to be so disconnected from the American sports world for an entire month. Games here are played overnight there, we rarely got the local paper but when we did, you had to look long and hard for scores. You'd think with Dirk Nowitzki winning a championship people in Europe would be more connected to the NBA...but they weren't. Perhaps in Germany...but we weren't in Germany. Even when you do see a score, the delay because of the time change is so large you don't even know what day that score happened. The only time to catch up was if you found the tiny USA Today international version in an airport...and even that news is really old.

16. So one of my brothers is actually a Lebron fan...I know, I know, but you can't pick your relatives! Not sure if this matters, but he's actually the best athlete of my five brothers. Anyway, he seems pretty ticked at Lebron right now not because of how he played, but how he acted. Something about making fun of Dirk Nowitzki in front of the cameras really bothered him, and he's annoyed that his ten year old son saw that. He said Lebron acted like a total s*****g during the finals. His words, not mine.

17. Ever have five brothers walk you down the aisle...when your train is around 15 feet long? It's not easy!

18. I tried to watch the College World Series. I can't. I just can't take the PING of the aluminum bat seriously. Seems like it's not baseball or something. Not for me.

19. Wow, there goes Albert Pujols's $50 million per year contract!

20. Another Lebron joke. Don't give Lebron a dollar...he'll only give you three quarters!

21. I expected to come back and hear that OSU was given the death penalty. Turns out that was only on this forum!

22. Sounds like NBA owners want a hard salary cap. No mid-level exceptions, or anything like that. Could change things.

23. So what about The Jimmer? Will he make it, or what? Dude can shoot, straight up.

24. LOL the Mets worst nightmare...Jose Reyes finally having a monster season...in his walk year!

25. Is Rory McIlroy becoming the next big golf thing, even though he's European?

26. Wow, I just found out like two minutes ago that Mark Jackson is taking over in Golden State. Breaking up a very good team! Now he has to figure out Monta Ellis. And Jerry West is involved with the team too? Huh?

27. Over the course of a month I think I missed 4,192 of my nieces' and nephews' games.

28. Anyone who thinks there are a bunch of people walking around in Lebron James jerseys overseas, uh...no. 99.9% of the uniforms worn overseas are soccer jerseys, I did see a couple of Yankee logos and, oddly, a guy in a Jacksonville Jaguars uniform. Probably a tourist from Jacksonville!

29. I wish we were still in Fiji!!! There is no place on earth more romantic.

30. It's nice being married to my husband wherever we are, though. I guess I have to change my user name!!!

Sandra

Last edited:
It's been a while, so...

3. OK, sparing me the Lebron haters and the Lebron jock-worshipper among us...what the heck happened in the finals? When I last left our heroes, Miami was in the process of pounding Chicago into submission, Lebron was making Derrick Rose look like Roseanne Barr, and he was in the process of exorcising all of his demons from last year. Then I come back, and I find out it's worse than ever. Huh???

He was not aggressive enough and Spolestra had no adjustments to Dallas' zone defense. The better TEAM won. The playoff thread was WAY too much about the hate for Lebron and his failures and not enough about how well Dallas played defense(that damn zone). Unfortunately, short memory affected all Lebron haters because they had forgotten how he lit up Boston with his clutch play and how he made everyone's darling and MVP, Derrick Rose look like a 7th grader.

8. Well it sounds like the Red Sox came into Yankee Stadium and punched the Yankees in the nose...again! Multple Yankees plunked by Red Sox pitchers...again! I've seen this movie before. The good news is through all this the Yankees were able to stand strong, and despite multiple injuries to the pitching staff, since that series Boston has been unable to pull away. Hopefully at some point both will work their way to 20 games over .500, and cruise into the playoffs.

AND I read about 6 teams making the playoffs. Interesting huh? Now if we can just get it down to 148 games and nothing starting BEFORE May 1st..and we could have something.

10. If/when the NFL settles, it's going to get crazy in a hurry. Sooo many free agents, who will all sign in a period of probably around three days. Nmadi Asomugli and a whole bunch of others scrambling for a team in like 72 hours. Wow.

John Clayton of ESPN has a good report going and he seems to have a better grasp than most of the situation. Check it out when you can:

NFL labor talks: What we learned - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

12. On a Saturday in Paris, we woke up planning to leave the city for the first time to go to a villa somewhere in the Provence countryside...except we never got there. My husband had two tickets in his pocket to the Champions League final in London, between Barcelona and Manchester United. Wow, what an atmosphere! And the new Wembley stadium is just incredible.

WOW!! A game like that would be high on my 'bucket list'. Good for you. IF anyone in the usual Sports forum group would appreciate something like that it would be you!

13. The Marlins manager quit? Like quit as in quit? Walked away? You don't hear that very often.

Don't believe the hype, that more like 'asked to quit' more than anything else. Just like Van Gundy wanting to "spend more time with my family".

16. So one of my brothers is actually a Lebron fan...I know, I know, but you can't pick your relatives! Not sure if this matters, but he's actually the best athlete of my five brothers. Anyway, he seems pretty ticked at Lebron right now not because of how he played, but how he acted. Something about making fun of Dirk Nowitzki in front of the cameras really bothered him, and he's annoyed that his ten year old son saw that. He said Lebron acted like a total s*****g during the finals. His words, not mine.

I was not to thrilled about that either. Especially when you have cameras on you the moment you step out of your house/hotel. He will learn as he gets older.

17. Ever have five brothers walk you down the aisle...when your train is around 15 feet long? It's not easy!

5 sisters... and ALL having different complaints about their bridemaids dress.

20. Another Lebron joke. Don't give Lebron a dollar...he'll only give you three quarters!

Heard them all....:rolleyes:

21. I expected to come back and hear that OSU was given the death penalty. Turns out that was only on this forum!

The investigations are far from over. MY prediction will be that they are gonna get the USC treatment. But who knows with the NCAA.

22. Sounds like NBA owners want a hard salary cap. No mid-level exceptions, or anything like that. Could change things.

And what the Heat did, it may never happen again. I think the league and the owners will never want players having THAT MUCH power.

23. So what about The Jimmer? Will he make it, or what? Dude can shoot, straight up.

There is no doubt he can shoot. But can he play defense. Not too many zones in the NBA.

26. Wow, I just found out like two minutes ago that Mark Jackson is taking over in Golden State. Breaking up a very good team! Now he has to figure out Monta Ellis. And Jerry West is involved with the team too? Huh?

As much as I hate the Knicks, I was hoping he would head back home to New York. I think he will be a GREAT coach someday.

28. Anyone who thinks there are a bunch of people walking around in Lebron James jerseys overseas, uh...no. 99.9% of the uniforms worn overseas are soccer jerseys, I did see a couple of Yankee logos and, oddly, a guy in a Jacksonville Jaguars uniform. Probably a tourist from Jacksonville!

What? No Brady jerseys? ;)

Sandra

Welcome back! I would be a complete liar if I did not say it is too quiet when you ain't here. I am gald you found the right man to call your husband and I wish you the very best.

30. It's nice being married to my husband wherever we are, though. I guess I have to change my user name!!!
you know you're killing a certain someone around here lmao.......
broken_heart_emo-1500.jpg

With_Loving_Eyes_by_CrazyKcee.jpg

:devil::heart:haha

1. It is SOOOOOOOOO liberating to not have a cell phone on your person for a month. Wow. It feels like Freedom!

Did the same on a recent vacation with my gal. Only even more primitive. Took the Blue Ridge Parkway (America's most scenic by-way) en-route to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Tent camped along the way and cooked over an open fire. Far from any cell phone tower or internet connection. I loved it.

LeBoob LeChoked. Again. He's supporters say, "yah, but look at what he did leading up to it". Ok, that's fine. But we all know, in the end, great players are judged on the games that matter most. And LeBron, for 2 consecutive seasons was a no-show when it mattered most. Maybe he doesn't have the "stones" to be the best?

5. Hey HD, the Tribe is still in first place! I think they were building to be contenders about two years from now, so they're way ahead of schedule! Good for them. Perhaps they can be buyers next month.

Yep. We aren't as red hot as when you left, but this team has been withstanding numerous injuries along the way, just like many other teams. We could really use another starting pitcher. I'd love for our cheapskate owner to be a buyer this free-agent season.

Teams like Kansas City will NEVER be a contender under this proposal. NEVER. The Yankees and Red Sox on the other hand; might as well punch their ticket to the playoffs each and every year. And btw, under this proposal, does this mean every team plays every other team equally? As in, the Yankees won't play the Red Sox as often as they do now?

13. The Marlins manager quit? Like quit as in quit? Walked away quit? You don't hear that very often.

And in a season where they were trying to build momentum to carry over to the new stadium being built. What a shame.

How about this one? That's twice this year a gutless tyrant has fallen from power while hiding out on a Sunday night. ;)

Judging by the news, it looks like UNC is in some trouble now. Where's Anders when you need him?!

So what you're saying is that the Miami Heat are screwed?! Excellent!

He can shoot, but can he play defense? It's hard to gauge the success on the next level with guys like this. Take a look at the Mustache Man from Gonzaga as an example.

25. Is Rory McIlroy becoming the next big golf thing, even though he's European?

McIlroy certainly has the skills. And he seems like a likeable kid. Not sure anyone will be as marketable or as good as Tiger was in his hey-day though.

LMAO! The haters will always hate. I will once again quote a popular person here in our sports forum, "Could be because their own teams aren't worth talking about".... ;)

LMAO! The haters will always hate. I will once again quote a popular person here in our sports forum, "Could be because their own teams aren't worth talking about".... ;)

The Cavaliers have the first and fourth overall selections in the draft tomorrow night...THAT'S worth talking about!

Sandra

i agree. so maybe they should concentrate on talking about that ;)

LOL rey with all due respect (and you are due A LOT!) what do you care what Cleveland people concentrate on? Who cares if they hate on Lebron? There is as much concentrating on the Lebron-haters as there is on Lebron-hating!

Heck, who is more hated around the country than the New York Yankees! I don't jump into thread after thread and tell people to mind their own business and worry about their own team. If anyone wants to hate the Yankees...go right ahead! Get in Line. It doesn't affect my day!

Sandra

4. Congrats to Bill, Cosmo, Hart, and all the devout Bruin fans. Sounds like it was a wild, crazy and bizarre finals series in the NHL. One of my brothers broke into my house when I was away and was nice enough to record game seven, because he knew that it would mean that much to me, and so far I only watched the pregame and the National Anthems. Wow! That place was charged. Can't wait to watch the actual game so I can watch the Bruins win!!!

Thanks Sandra. It was all of that and them some! The Garden was also over the top crazy for games 3,4 and 6 (Bruins won those games by a cumulative score of 17-3 :eek:)

6. Rioting in Vancouver? Again??? I just don't get that, but I totally called it before I went away. So strange, Vancouver is probably the most beautiful city in North America, but there is a group of very bad people who take advantage of the mob mentality and start mayhem. It's happened before.

What a disgrace!

Ever hear of Joba Chamberlain and Kevin Youkilis? :D

14. What the heck caused all the animosity in the Bruins/Canucks series? Sounds like it was one of the more vicious finals series in a long time. Did it start out like that, or did something happen early to trigger it?

It starts and ends with Messrs. Burrows, LaPierre and ESPECIALLY Rome! And then you throw in the blabbermouth LeBrongo, and you have a team that in two weeks, became more despised in these parts than the Yankees, Canadiens, Lakers and Colts EVER were!!

Again, congrats to you and your man. May you have MANY years of wedded bliss!

Sandra
:)

LOL rey with all due respect (and you are due A LOT!) what do you care what Cleveland people concentrate on? Who cares if they hate on Lebron? There is as much concentrating on the Lebron-haters as there is on Lebron-hating!

Heck, who is more hated around the country than the New York Yankees! I don't jump into thread after thread and tell people to mind their own business and worry about their own team. If anyone wants to hate the Yankees...go right ahead! Get in Line. It doesn't affect my day!

Sandra

LeBoob's an easy target. My jokes are all in fun though. Nothing personal Miamians. :)
we good hehe

LeBoob's an easy target. My jokes are all in fun though. Nothing personal Miamians. :)

Some sports teams/players are easy targets for some of us.

For instance, the Isles are an easy target for Sandra, Mike Shanahan for Salsa (or as he likes to say, Shana-douche).

Sandra,

The rulings for the Buckeyes will not be out till August .... everything till now is just speculation.
Thing I hate about it is how the NCAA has decided to (and media outlets and what not) make EVERYTHING a MAJOR topic thus throwing it out in the spotlight every other week when NOTHING will be done till the NCAA officially says so.

It's gonna be ugly I'm sure, but NOTHING official till August .

Sandra,

The rulings for the Buckeyes will not be out till August .... everything till now is just speculation.
Thing I hate about it is how the NCAA has decided to (and media outlets and what not) make EVERYTHING a MAJOR topic thus throwing it out in the spotlight every other week when NOTHING will be done till the NCAA officially says so.

It's gonna be ugly I'm sure, but NOTHING official till August .

Thanks Jimbo.

How did those starting times work out for you while I was gone during the NHL playoffs? I was so worried aboutcha!!!

Sandra

18. I tried to watch the College World Series. I can't. I just can't take the PING of the aluminum bat seriously. Seems like it's not baseball or something. Not for me.
Hey Sandra, check out this thread. It breaks down into a discussion of the new college BBCOR bats versus wood bats. I LOVE college baseball, but I prefer wood bats. FYI, I am 'dabo man' on that board.

TexAgs.com - A&M Baseball and Softball

Hey Sandra, check out this thread. It breaks down into a discussion of the new college BBCOR bats versus wood bats. I LOVE college baseball, but I prefer wood bats. FYI, I am 'dabo man' on that board.

TexAgs.com - A&M Baseball and Softball

Funny you mention this. I still play baseball for the MABL and that was a big discussion in our manager's meeting. The bats that were recently banned by both the universities and high schools were in the $400 range... now, you get them for about the price of a decent wooden bat, around $70.

Here some more info on that.

High School Baseball Gets A Step Closer to Wooden Bats - Clearwater, FL Patch

Many composite barrel bats banned by IHSA - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register