Trying to decide if I want to switch...questions

floorguy

Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
United States
1st....is that 20ish sec loss of recording on back to back programs gone??? with all these tuners in these things now???

IE...take NCIS and NCIS LA, being back to back shows...even though we set them up with a 1 min before and 1 minute after on the recording... We always ended up with about a 20 sec void...which sometimes cut off shows and the "coming up next week" or you missed the 1st part

2nd.....can you record what you have watched going back???

IE....It use to be with Dish i would switch to a show and be watching it...then decide i wanted to record it...and would only record from where i clicked record.....where Direct, went back just above an hr I think...so long as the channel wasnt changed...

My contract is up with direct, and trying to decide which wat I want to go....and these 2 were biggies to us

1st....is that 20ish sec loss of recording on back to back programs gone??? with all these tuners in these things now???

IE...take NCIS and NCIS LA, being back to back shows...even though we set them up with a 1 min before and 1 minute after on the recording... We always ended up with about a 20 sec void...which sometimes cut off shows and the "coming up next week" or you missed the 1st part

2nd.....can you record what you have watched going back???

IE....It use to be with Dish i would switch to a show and be watching it...then decide i wanted to record it...and would only record from where i clicked record.....where Direct, went back just above an hr I think...so long as the channel wasnt changed...

My contract is up with direct, and trying to decide which wat I want to go....and these 2 were biggies to us

1. I haven't had an issue with this and you also have the manual timers as an option if needed.

2. The buffer is one hour and as long as the beginning of movie is in the buffer then you can rw and Record the whole event.

One problem floorguy may be having with CBS programming is due to the nearly one minute early start of most CBS prime time programs. Some ABC programs run late. I have a 722 which has 2 satellite tuners, and it does lose a few seconds between back to back recordings on the same channel with normal settings, but it is not 20 seconds.

My 722 is connected to an antenna and I found one easy way to fix a locals timing problem is to use satellite for one recording and OTA for the other--each recording gets the normal 1 minute early and 3 minutes late padding that way. Others have reported that increasing the padding amounts on satellite timers causes each recording to use a seperate satellite tuner for each program, but you use up both of the available satellite tuners that way--you can't record or watch anything else from satellite during the time period when the timers overlap.

Rather that use sat. and OTA timers on the "same" channel, can you use 2 sat. timers with one in low channel number and one in the 9000's? They are the same feed but remapping may allow tricking the recorder's timers. As I'm recording something at the moment I can't test it now. I agree it isn't 20 sec but you have to keep both until the early or late starter is seen.

The easier thing is to set the record after to 1/2 or 1 hour with both in the same recording.
-Ken

None of those exact things exists, nor ever has in any DVR I have had with dish. Let me be specific.

1. I do not lose the end of back to back programs. The end of the first may be at the beginning of the next with maybe a 2 sec loss, but it is there. Very easy fix for even that, record both programs as one or the higher number recording.

2. Always could record whatever is in the buffer up to about one hour. Difference now is there is a menu that gives you options, but it can be done without any menu.

If these were the reason you switched, you may not have needed to!

You don't give why you want to switch, if there is a specific reason you could let us know and then you can be sure you understand everything before your decision. I always caution people if they are happy with their service, sometimes the grass isn't greener. Believe me that's not a knock on Dish I would not switch to any other provider as of this point. But Direct TV would be my second choice.

On the ViP receivers, just changing the default 1min before/3min after to 2min/2min will force the timers to swap between tuners, recording the overlaps. Or as suggested, if the back-to-back programs are on the same channel, extend the first program by 1 hour to record both programs on the first timer and skip the other one. Or skip both and use a manual timer which gives you granular control of your start/stop times. I can't speak to how the Hopper handles it as I don't have one, and I have learned here that there are enough differences from the ViP line in how they handle recording for me to speculate.

truth be told...$$$$

my contract is up with direct, and I am not in the mood to pay the $100+ a mth to keep going (yes i know this rubs some people the wrong way, as i have read on other forums) but thats my #1 reason

we had dish for a while and it wasnt horrible, there were somethings that bugged me (as stated above) and this was 2 years ago soo i am sure some things have changed..

also now that we have entered the 21st century with 3 HD tvs this last year(all for great deals i might add lol) I would like to be able to watch my recordings in the kitchen (3rd tv) if nothing else is on..

we have a modest amount of shows we record...i think its around 15 or so, but over 1/2 of those are not prime time/network channels...which i wonder if direct would be better for??? more tuners...5v3 right??

so there you have it...and no i didnt have a stop watch....BUT there were MANY shows we missed the climax on...where as with direct....you can watch it twice....once at the end of the 1st show, then the start of the 2nd hahahah...

and yes most of the b2b were on CBS...though at the time some where on TNT as well....and USA...when we are catching up with new series and they play them b2b on replays...

truth be told...$$$$

my contract is up with direct, and I am not in the mood to pay the $100+ a mth to keep going (yes i know this rubs some people the wrong way, as i have read on other forums) but thats my #1 reason

we had dish for a while and it wasnt horrible, there were somethings that bugged me (as stated above) and this was 2 years ago soo i am sure some things have changed..

also now that we have entered the 21st century with 3 HD tvs this last year(all for great deals i might add lol) I would like to be able to watch my recordings in the kitchen (3rd tv) if nothing else is on..

we have a modest amount of shows we record...i think its around 15 or so, but over 1/2 of those are not prime time/network channels...which i wonder if direct would be better for??? more tuners...5v3 right??

so there you have it...and no i didnt have a stop watch....BUT there were MANY shows we missed the climax on...where as with direct....you can watch it twice....once at the end of the 1st show, then the start of the 2nd hahahah...

and yes most of the b2b were on CBS...though at the time some where on TNT as well....and USA...when we are catching up with new series and they play them b2b on replays...

Get 2 Hoppers and you'll have six tuners or 5 if one is set for PTAT during the evening. Any TV will be able to view anything recorded on either Hopper. Probably cost another $200. What is Direct going to to charge for a Genie upgrade?

Changing my Dish setup.

How do I know which Hopper, and how do I get it wireless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts