Trying to get a box to ship equipment back

wkilpatrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
My wife and I cancelled our dish account over 3 weeks ago. I've waited and waited and no box was ever sent to us. I called and they supposedly shipped us another box out but I've yet to see it. All I want to do is return this stuff so I don't get charged for not returning it. It's that to hard to ask of this company?

They send em out through UPS. I just got one with a nice big ass sign on it about how you need to send them stuff.

All I want to do is return this stuff so I don't get charged for not returning it. It's that to hard to ask of this company?
Call Dish back, get your RMA number, and the address. Take your receiver to a UPS store, FedEx, USPS, etc, etc and return it yourself ..... if you're that concerned about getting charged. What's $10-12 for shipping compared to possibly hundreds for the receiver ?

Call Dish back, get your RMA number, and the address. Take your receiver to a UPS store, FedEx, USPS, etc, etc and return it yourself ..... if you're that concerned about getting charged. What's $10-12 for shipping compared to possibly hundreds for the receiver ?

The point is that the OP shouldn't have to worry about this. Many of us have busy schedules and not time to run off to a UPS store. I think Dish is trying to take advantage of people with this.

I cancelled on 1/18/08 got my box promptly will be shipping it out yoday 1/29/08. It does work for most customers. Did you by any chance "move" so they don't have the correct address?

Getting the boxes

I cancelled on January 9 and was told the boxes would be at my house in 10 days. I called on the 22nd and they told me the boxes shipped that day. I asked for the UPS tracking number and the rep told me the don't give out that information.

I called again on the 25th and they told me they shipped on the 10th. I asked how that was because I was told they shipped on the 10th and 22nd and again asked for the UPS tracking information. He gave me the information and then advised me they requested a pickup on the 22nd.

When I checked on the status on the 26th via UPS it showed they were shipped that day. My wife called me this afternoon at work and told me the boxes arrived today.

I think you have to stay on them a little bit. I don't think that they are intentionally delaying sending the boxes, but it didn't seem like they were in a hurry to send them either. They also sent me a full months bill for the billing period starting January 25th through February 24th. I asked about this and they advised it was a month that was still owed. I didn't argue as I just want to pay and finish this up.

They also advised me that I had agreed to a new contract on January 21st. I explained that my account was cancelled on January 9, and I NEVER agreed to a new contract. They had to look back over the records and finally agreed that I had not agreed to a new contract and that the service was indeed cancelled on January 9.

Just keep on them and make sure you check and verify everything they tell you. I felt like if I wasn't checking up with them, that I could have gotten into some trouble. I just hope they receive the recivers etc before the 30 days and don't try to charge me for that also.

Many of us have busy schedules and not time to run off to a UPS store.
Then it's not really that important that they get returned, I guess.....

You can setup an online acct with UPS or USPS and have them come to your house. You can print off the necessary labels and drop them in a drop-box when your schedule permits. Many people can ship things from their work.

Many people can ship things from their work.

.. and many can't - if they tell you that they will ship boxes .. they should just ship the damned boxes .. you can make as many excuses as you like for them .. if they say they are going to do something - why should we not expect them to do it .... ?

Its not like THEY are paying US for this "service"

edit : I'm sick of reading posts of people on here who are making excuses for the piss-poor service that this company sometimes provides .. sure you can't tar everyone with the same brush .. but if someone says they are going to do something - as a paying customer .. you expect it to be done ... if the contractor/installer/tech support rep/ whoever takes your call and promises you something fails to live up to the promise that they make - they should be hunted down and at the very least reprimanded ... but ideally shot IMHO.

At least this way Dish will begin to get rid of the "excuse" it calls customer service.

;)

I waited for a box for about three weeks. They finally e-mailed me a shipping label, I used the original box and took it to UPS. I to was seriously worried about being charged for the equipment.

I'm not making excuses for them, I'm just saying that when I cancelled my old account I received the boxes about a week after I called to cancel.

I find it kinda crude that they ask for the remotes + LNBs, however. You'd think nobody would want used remotes (or LNBs for that matter), I suppose they rip the circuit boards out and shove them in new remotes?

To be completely honest, mine are on their last legs, think I should bother sending them in? I'll include a note about the LNB, though.

They don't re-use or re-furbish the remotes so why they want them back, who knows. The former customer sure has no use for them and they just get thrown in the same return box anyway. The LNBs are re-used. Ask any of the technicians who post here.

LOL That must be a headache, most LNBs are beat to hell, I imagine they'd like the switch back but ours isn't working quite right these days anyway (I plan to fork up for a DP plus LNB one of these days and forego all that junk).

My point about returning the boxes yourself is it's easier than dealing with Dish *after* they've charged you for the boxes, calling them multiple times requesting boxes, getting the credits applied when they finally do get returned, and so on. People can't be bothered to take their own precious time (and a small amount of money) to return them without waiting for Dish yet they've got time to post here about their predicament, call numerous times (and no doubt sit on hold for a while) requesting and re-requesting the boxes.

It does appear that Dish's system regarding this is seriously flawed. There's an easy way to "fix" it when it's "your" turn though. Hell, when I canceled Dish a few years ago, I didn't want them charging me $400-500 for my receiver in case they didn't receive it "on time" so I returned it myself a day or two after canceling.

Contract reads that the customer is responsible for the return of the equipment.. however boxes are sent a s a courtesy and I dont see why you should not get them. Call them, its not an rma its an ra number. They can send you labels to trough a program called ups campuship in their ups website. Takes 7-10 days to create the order for the boxes and you have 30 days from the day you disco to return them as per the contract. call them! bug them!

Contract reads that the customer is responsible for the return of the equipment.. however boxes are sent a s a courtesy and I dont see why you should not get them. Call them, its not an rma its an ra number. They can send you labels to trough a program called ups campuship in their ups website. Takes 7-10 days to create the order for the boxes and you have 30 days from the day you disco to return them as per the contract. call them! bug them!

K... About half that is actually correct.

I emailed ceo@echostar.com and was told I would have a box within 3-5 days and that my account was labeled to not get charged. I have the email so if they charge me I at least have something in writing saying I shouldn't be charged. If I do no get a box within the said # of days, I will just send it back myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)