Trying to get a handle on simsubs

curlytop4me

Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
If I have an address in Montreal, would I have less simsubs if i choose Detroit or Buffalo locals? or is it the same either way. does location matter? I am trying to get the most Usa east coast programming. this stuff is all new to me

simsubs are pretty simple to understand

As an example, CSI is on CBS in the states and CTV in Canada. The CTV feed overrides the CBS feed. If a Canadian channel has the rights to a program, they override (simsub) the US feed. Basically its so you see Canadian commercials.

They have to be on the same time and the channel that is doing the simsub must be an OTA channel. As an example, I have a Toronto address so I get simsubbed on basically everything that CTV, CH, City & Global pick up.

It has nothing to do with what eastern feed you pick

The way to avoid it is to get a DSR 500 or 505 HD receiver. It outputs in composite and RG to non HD sets - no simsubs on HD shannels - SC does not charge extra for the HD channels.

Jumbo,and/or Ice

Hey Jumbo,and/or Ice. When tuning to HD, does the dsr500 or 505 output the HD channels to the composite output in std 4:3 format to fill the screen on my old tv? or 16:9 only. and is it better to get Detroit Hd and Buffalo SD or vise versa? (im probably way over thinking this new purchase).

curlytop4me said:
does the dsr500 or 505 output the HD channels to the composite output in std 4:3 format to fill the screen on my old tv?

The 5XX will output 480 on composite. I have Buffalo/Spokane on SD (Digital Favourites pkg) and Detroit/Seattle on HD.

Rumor is that SC/Cancom is testing microwave HD feed of NBC Buffalo due to complaints about dropouts on NBC Detroit.

It will letterbox the channel on a 4:3 SD TV using Svideo/Composite out... so if they are postage stamping it... (4:3 with black/grey/whatever bars to fill the 16:9) then it will have a black border all the way around.

New Setup - Can not change to channel 284

Questions about the DSR530

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)