trying to set a TV in an additional room without a phone jack or cable/dish? jack

John Reeves

Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
Orlnad Park IL
My father has DISH & I am trying to set a TV in an additional room without a phone jack or cable (DISH) jack for him? HE DOES HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET IN HIS HOUSE, BUT ITS FOR GUESTS, NOT HIM. HE IS NOT INTERESTED IN TECHNOLOGY EXCEPT WATCHING TV ON A TV. He is an old man & just wants it as simple as possible. He is not interested in any of the fancy features. I do not have DISH, I do not know if they run wired jacks like with cable or what. Is the best way to buy an additional reciever? Are they WIFI? Can I get him a hopper and sling it to the hopper with a sling adapter? Can I buy a smart TV and use it or do I have to buy a Ruku or DVR also? I bought slingbox and the cheapest small TV, but that was before I learned about possible dish solutions? Even if I put a router next to the TV I bought I could not hook it from the router to the tv because they did not share any connection types. I do not want to put the WIFI router it in the same room anyway because there is not phone port. What is my best way to do this? I want to use a TV, not an Ipad or something. People can say they are easy and all that but it is stressful for this old person. I basically want a TV that I can put in different rooms like he has for the last 30 years before they got rid of antenna TV's. How can I do this the most easiest way? Can I just get a smart TV and pickup the smarttv signal? The guy at Best Buy said get a slingbox there was just a jack you put into any TV...I saw no such jack? He has a vip 222K receiver. Can a DISH DVR go without direct connections except to the TV? I don’t know how the receiver is connected to the satelite dish, I guess by wire. I would pay extra to keep it simple. He could probably pay the DISH guys to come run more wires or something but I would rather pay extra to keep it simple. I would rather pay for a 1 time charge than make him pay more monthly, like a gift rather than just setting him up to pay more. Amazon Fire TV? Ruko? SlingTV DISH DVR with Sling? -- what sounds best?

If he upgraded to the Hopper with Sling, he could add a virtual (WiFi) Joey or certain specific Smart TVs that have the virtual Joey software built in. That solution would probably cost ~$20 more than he is paying now. I am an old man too but I embrace technology, my brother in law can't even plug in a VCR, let alone stop its clock from blinking.
The router you bought will not help with your solution the small TV might work with the virtual Joey if it has an HDMI port.

It is best to ask questions first and spend money AFTER you know what your plan is. You can seldom believe the advice of a big box store salesman.

Better than the VJ, the WIreless Joey would be your best bet. Most reliable, and less tech for him to learn. How many rooms total do you need TV in?

There are direct wireless solutions. Search "wireless tv transmitter and receiver" on Amazon. You could use it with the TV2 output or mimic what is on TV1.

Tell us what equipment he has and we can give better answers. If all he has is a 222 does he have it run to 2 TVs now? It may be as simple as a splitter on TV2 of the 222 and running a cable to the new room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts