Trying to start new service and the agents suck!

scooter2479

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
La Plata,Mo
Why is it that you call in and get 5 different quotes on what upfront costs will be. Earlier this week I was told $140, today I've been told $350, $477, and $360. Total BS and its call coming from the out sourced call centers. Why can't they honor what they tell people. Can DIRT help?

This is about the 500th time you've posted this and each time I ask myself "how in the heck is someone supposed to know if their local authorized Dish Retailer is good or not until it's too late?".

There are several ways to figure it out:
You can call them and see if they answer the phone and if they take their time with you and answer your questions intelligently.
You can see if they know what they're talking about or are making things up as they go along.
If they charge an 'activation fee' and/or shipping charges then hang up.
You can check with friends and relatives. People in the area usually know if somebody has a good or bad reputation.
You can look around your area and see which installs are nice and neat and if they have a company name and/or sticker on the dish.
Those are a few ways off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more. :)

This is about the 500th time you've posted this and each time I ask myself "how in the heck is someone supposed to know if their local authorized Dish Retailer is good or not until it's too late?".

Well, you can try checking Google Reviews. This assumes of course, you have a Dish retailer. The closest one to me is 33 miles away. All of the ones that I could find within 120 miles were Windstream, the terrible telecommunications company. I would never go to them over calling Dish directly. My recommendation is to try the online ordering tools. Take screenshots on every page before you click next and check each line item on every screen, so you can see if anything changes along the way.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, you can try checking Google Reviews. This assumes of course, you have a Dish retailer. The closest one to me is 33 miles away. All of the ones that I could find within 120 miles were Windstream, the terrible telecommunications company. I would never go to them over calling Dish directly. My recommendation is to try the online ordering tools. Take screenshots on every page before you click next and check each line item on every screen, so you can see if anything changes along the way.

You're right about the phone stores. They aren't real retailers, they just take orders.

Real retailers take the order, do the install and do the continuing support. You don't have to call over seas! :biggrin

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sent you a PM. I have been a retailer for 20 years now and will give you a straight answer on costs...

I could have done that but I don't use these forums to recruit business.

20 years a retailer, you're still a rookie. :biggrin

I could have done that but I don't use these forums to recruit business.

20 years a retailer, you're still a rookie. :biggrin
Doesn't sound like he's recruiting business, how could he if he's hundreds of miles away - we don't know.

Sounds like he was just trying to give a straight answer.

Reactions: lfp302
Doesn't sound like he's recruiting business, how could he if he's hundreds of miles away - we don't know.

Retailers can sell to anybody, anywhere. If the sale is too far and the retailer doesn't want to do the install then the Dish company people or sub contractors do it.

If the customer is local to the retailer then I say more power to him. Send that PM and try to get his business, and I wish him luck. But if he's not local to the customer then IMHO I wouldn't do it. But, to each their own. After all, Scott sells advertising for that. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobvick
Did you pass the credit check ?

Everything should be FREE, or with a minimal upfront fee.

The only time they can’t give you a straight price is when you don’t pass the credit check and they have to charge you for all the equipment, as nobody ever does this as it requires money upfront

Reactions: Tampa8

That's all I was trying to do... Drama. I will go back to lurking...

And wouldn't 'straight answers' be best shared in the open forum for everybody's benefit instead of in a Private Message?

Unless of course you can't give a 'straight answer' until you credit qualify the customer through the Dish ordering process to find out what the 'straight answer' will actually be. And seeing as the order is already entered let's just go ahead and schedule that installation for ya.

Nah, that would never happen. I'm sure it's all just drama. :biggrin

Reactions: Tampa8 and KAB

I work in sales for a local Windstream store. I consider myself far better than any Dish agent I’ve talked with on the 1800 number and know the equipment and packages better too. Of course I got the H3 right when it came out and am on this forum too. Too general of a statement you made.

I work in sales for a local Windstream store. I consider myself far better than any Dish agent I’ve talked with on the 1800 number and know the equipment and packages better too. Of course I got the H3 right when it came out and am on this forum too. Too general of a statement you made.

I am sure you are an exception to the rule. No offense meant to you personally, but Windstream has a terrible reputation around here. I am sure it is possible to get good service from one of your company's stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts