Trying to understand PTA

TFLeonard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I've been thinking of upgrading to a Hopper but wanted to understand how Primetime Anytime (PTA) actually works. It is my understanding that one of the hopper's tuners records all four networks during primetime hours. How does this actually happen? Are all four networks "multicast" and encoded on one transponder and the Hopper then splits them all up on its end? If that's the case then which transponder is it on and which satellite? I'm on the western arc.

TFLeonard said:
I've been thinking of upgrading to a Hopper but wanted to understand how Primetime Anytime (PTA) actually works. It is my understanding that one of the hopper's tuners records all four networks during primetime hours. How does this actually happen? Are all four networks "multicast" and encoded on one transponder and the Hopper then splits them all up on its end? If that's the case then which transponder is it on and which satellite? I'm on the western arc.

It is possible because the big 4 HDs locals are on the same transponder. There's no way to tell yo which transponder your locals are on without knowing where you live.

I'm in South Florida. Is it a spot beamed transponder for PTA? I know all my normal HD locals are spot beamed, only SD is not.

I'm in South Florida. Is it a spot beamed transponder for PTA? I know all my normal HD locals are spot beamed, only SD is not.
My understanding is that PTAT records the transponder (usually a spotbeam) that carries your big-4 networks in HD. The whole transponder broadcast is recorded, but only the big-4 networks are decoded for playback.

That's interesting. I suppose this technique could be used with other combos to increase VOD (like recording 4 HBO channels for example), and lessen the need for more hardware tuners? Too bad its only spot beam though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts