TSS 5922

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Robz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
I just received the TBS 5922 USB DVB-S@ TV Q-Box receiver from www.tbsdtv.com
The box supports Windows 7 and has a blind scan feature; the fastest blind scan I have used so far. It supports .ini files for simple compatibility with other satellite programs; such as DVBViewer PRO and DVBdream. They also claim HTML support but I get an error.
DVBWorlds DVB-S2 HD 2104 seems about the same feature for feature; however the 2104 does not support Windows 7. After all this time it's time for a Windows 7 update both 32 and 64 bit!

Pro:

• Supports many features and capabilities.
  • Supports Windows 7
  • Support HD Video up to 1080i (interlaced)
  • The input voltage is marked!!!! Hooray, how many times have I let the smoke out of attachments because I connected the wrong external power supply (rhetorical question)? The box is marked 7.5 volts DC. Next time you need a power adapter for some device, see if you can match the correct voltage. Chances are, as I have done, you will connect 12 volts to a 5 volt device; do you smell the smoke?
  • USB interface
  • Low cost
  • Fast delivery time
  • Very sensitive receiver. Past receivers do not work as good. This however may be due to simple stochastic random variation in components.

Cons:

• Virtually no documentation.
  • Many undocumented features.
  • You gota figure this thing all by your self.
  • Supports 1080i not 1080p according to their specifications

Conclusion:

I have just received this box. This review should only be considered preliminary; not an authoritative review. Also I have very limited resources for a more extensive comparison. I do not have equipment to test sensitivity, my dish is not aligned, problems with brand spanking new out of the box LNB DMX741 performance (receives only H polarization signals) and a few other factors. However, despite my equipment shortcomings; the TBS5922 is the best satellite receiver I have used so far (period).

Any one else have the TBS 5922?

Robert

Good information, haven't heard of this device. And good tip on the power supplies for those like me, who blindly believed what was on the label of the ps. Last week I tested a radioshack 6volt PS before I used it on anything, the VOM showed 12.84 volts!

So the blind scan works with the factory software, or only with third-party software?

So the blind scan works with the factory software, or only with third-party software?

The blind scan function is stand alone software and is distributed on the CD. The program name is a"TBS5922-BlindScan.exe" and is supplied by TBSDTV. No third party software is needed. Except for drivers and the blind scan software, the TBS5922 does not come with their own viewing software. You need third party software such as DVBviewer, DVBdream, DVBpro, MyTheater and a number of others. The CD does have a variety of OEM viewing software packages, take your pick. They all find the driver without problems.
According to TBSDTV, the TBS5922 is supported on linux. I have Ubuntu Linux, but haven't had success with the 5922 yet. With all the security improvements, you cannot write to protected areas. In other words they finally broke Linux with all the security, same for Windows 7. I get a Linux message that I am not the owner, permission denied.:mad:
Their website also provides a download area where you can get the latest software drivers and an SDK, if you are into programming.
USALS is supported and other DisEqc modes. It is on their website, but you have to look very hard before you find the USALS mode.

Robert

Good information, haven't heard of this device. And good tip on the power supplies for those like me, who blindly believed what was on the label of the ps. Last week I tested a radioshack 6volt PS before I used it on anything, the VOM showed 12.84 volts!

What you are measuring with the voltmeter is the open circuit voltage. With a load connected, the voltage might drop closer to the expected output voltage. You can use an appropriate value resistor as a load. The lesson here is that you can't always trust your voltmeter... :(

Here's a link to Sparkfun's Unregulated Power Supply Tutorial that explains this in more detail.

Whats the main difference between this and the prof 7500?

Sorry, I am not familiar with the prof 7500. However, according to the proof 7500 website, the blind scan feature is not indicated. Blind scan is, however indicated for their advanced tuner models. The TBS 5922 claims to use the latest fourth generation tuner and does blind scan. Its best to ask their technical support people. To their credit, TBS Technologies|Dual tuner|Q-Box|DVB S2|DVB S|PCI E does seem to answer questions quickly. The main difference may be generation of tuner.

Hi Robs/other exprts.
I recently got this product (TBS 5922) and having some queries.
Am using a 8port Diseqc and the BS tool allows only 4 diseq ports, any quickfix for it, or is it possible to use any other external or third party software for blindscan on TBS5922. pls confirm or advice.
Also another issue is the scan results. I used to get the option/pop up window once the scan is complete, showing the full details of channels/list with los/new channels, and also it allows me to extract the report to word/copy to clipboard... But somehow i am missing that now, and how to enable it?
Thanks for your response.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)