Tuner hogs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
h3 is your only real options to fix the issue. could also do wally for each person and get your own external hd for each, but they would be 1 tuner only.

When i had hopper with sling it was 2 of them with 1 joey each and had endless ammount issue with recording get canceled by users. cause there wasnt enough of tuner.

Dont have that issue with h3 but i have 2 of them 1 serving 1 joey and other serving the other joey. mostly for redundancy mostly cause i dont like idea of one box to rule them all. If dish ever made solo dvr box again that had 2 or 3 tunner each I would switch to them but i dont see it ever happening.

if you do upgrade dont let them tell you have pay for the upgrade they will give to you for free so long as talk to right person

Reactions: charlesrshell
could also do wally for each person and get your own external hd for each...
Wally would certainly be cheaper, after the initial upfront cost. I am assuming the OP is paying $15 DVR fee for Hopper + $7 for each Joey (times 2) for a total of $29 in fees.

If the OP is grandfathered for no monthly fee on the first Wally, then replacing all three receivers with Wally would result in total monthly fees of only $14. If those Wally are purchased instead of leased, the monthly fee drops to $5 each, so only $10 total.

Even with a fee for the first Wally, the fees for three of them would only be at most $21 (all three leased) or a minimum of $15 (all three purchased) or any other combination of leased and purchased fees in-between. Any scenario results in a lower monthly fee than the current Hopper/Joey system.

...but they would be 1 tuner only.
If you use the Wally for recording, each Wally has two satellite tuners. Wally would also provide the option of adding additional OTA adapters (one adapter per Wally) to provide additional OTA tuners for recording. Currently, each Hopper only supports one OTA adapter for the entire system. (Each OTA adapter could provide two OTA tuners, although the older single-tuner OTA adapter model also still works.)

The drawback of switching the entire system to Wally is that you lose access to all existing recordings made with the Hopper system, since Wally is not compatible with those.

If dish ever made solo dvr box again that had 2 or 3 tunner each I would switch to them but i dont see it ever happening.
Dish does make a two-tuner Hopper Duo. Getting Dish to allow you to have more than one of them on the same account is the tricky part, though. Hopper Duo would at least save you some money on the monthly DVR fee. ($10 for Hopper Duo compared to $15 for other Hoppers.) Plus, Hopper Duos are compatible with existing Hopper recordings, so those could be transferred to the Hopper Duo if you desire. Another option would be to use Wally with two tuners for recording, as I explained above.

Dish does make a two-tuner Hopper Duo. Getting Dish to allow you to have more than one of them on the same account is the tricky part, though. Hopper Duo would at least save you some money on the monthly DVR fee. ($10 for Hopper Duo compared to $15 for other Hoppers.) Plus, Hopper Duos are compatible with existing Hopper recordings, so those could be transferred to the Hopper Duo if you desire. Another option would be to use Wally with two tuners for recording, as I explained above.
yah i have no interest in doing that, cause i would need 4 of them which would fun phone chat with them. so instead pay 44$ i month i would be pay 40$ month and less tuners and 2 is not enough. and If i have to buy equipemnt as far as i concered ALL that equipment would have be less then month charge that leased one are, which dish seem to not want do fo anything labeled "hopper".

I personal for just me was toying with idea of just get wally and external hdd for my self, but again 2 tunner if it actual let you watch and record some same time, again would not be enough tuner. and wally isnt 4k cappably either less that changed.

yah i have no interest in doing that, cause i would need 4 of them which would fun phone chat with them. so instead pay 44$ i month i would be pay 40$ month and less tuners and 2 is not enough. and If i have to buy equipemnt as far as i concered ALL that equipment would have be less then month charge that leased one are, which dish seem to not want do fo anything labeled "hopper".
Yeah, Dish definitely does not give any discount all for having purchased Hopper Duos. (To be fair, Hopper Duo was conspicuously missing from the purchased receiver price chart being discussed in the other thread, and I found out the reason why.) At one point, I had two purchased Hopper Duos active on my account at the same time. The DVR fee was $10 as expected. However, the additional receiver fee for the second Hopper Duo was still $15, just like any other Hopper. This was after the price changes for purchased equipment went into effect. On top of that, Dish had required the second Hopper Duo to be purchased just to allow me to have two of them on the account in the first place, and I still didn't get any discount on that additional receiver fee.

So, I wouldn't want to see what the bill would look like with four Hopper Duos on one account. Your monthly bill would actually go up ($45 in additional receiver fees plus the $10 DVR fee, so $55 total) and you would still have less functionality than you have now.

...and wally isnt 4k cappably either less that changed.
I have been advocating for a new 4K Wally for years here. The ball is in Dish's court now.

h3 is your only real options to fix the issue. could also do wally for each person and get your own external hd for each, but they would be 1 tuner only.
tsunami2311, I think when you have an EHD connected to a Wally a second tuner becomes available. And with a OTA adapter you have a 3rd turner. I got this setup for my Uncle several years ago but forgot If this is all true. He has passed away so can't ask him how it all worked out for him. Maybe NYDutch can verify.

tsunami2311, I think when you have an EHD connected to a Wally a second tuner becomes available. And with a OTA adapter you have a 3rd turner. I got this setup for my Uncle several years ago but forgot If this is all true. He has passed away so can't ask him how it all worked out for him. Maybe NYDutch can verify.
Yeah, I covered all of that earlier. I guess you missed that post. ;)

If you use the Wally for recording, each Wally has two satellite tuners. Wally would also provide the option of adding additional OTA adapters (one adapter per Wally) to provide additional OTA tuners for recording. Currently, each Hopper only supports one OTA adapter for the entire system. (Each OTA adapter could provide two OTA tuners, although the older single-tuner OTA adapter model also still works.)

Reactions: charlesrshell

This is my setup, if you have the dual tuner adapter you have 4 tuners to record from. For me, a Hopper just doesn't make sense when the Wally allows me this much functionality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)