Tuning HD Channels with Q-Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mcmike567

Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hello,
I live in an apartment complex that provides dish service across the property. In order to use it, I have a dish 211k hooked up through a Q-box. I will confess to not entirely understanding the way this setup works, but it is what I was told I needed. When the setup was first installed, it originally didn't tune in at all, and when a technician was dispatched he tested the signal coming in to my apartment and told me I needed a signal attenuator between the wall and the q-box, as the signal coming in was to strong for it to read. I bought one and got it hooked up, and I now have a much better situation, where all channels tune in SD, and most look fine. That said, when I try to tune to HD channels, a few of them play with major glitches and artifacts in the video, and most don't tune at all, instead saying "lost signal, tuning to sd equivalent" or something to that effect. I have tried with two different attenuators, one a 10db as originally suggested by the installer, and one a 6db, which seems to have the same effect. I would like to be able to watch in HD, as I am paying for it, but don't really know where to go from here. It doesn't seem at all to be dependent on the weather, it is nice and sunny today and the problems persist, in case that matters. Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael

Welcome to SatGuys, Mcmike567!

I'd do like Boba suggests, it may be that the Q box only modulates the SD and not the HD, or your 211 might need a update to work right with the Q box. I'd contact the company providing the Q box, or Dish themselves, even, if you get no help from the installer company.

What receivers and setups are other people using that rent in the same building? Make friends with one of them, and look over their setup and duplicate it...

Personally though, I'd get on the rental properties admin team and ask them WTF is going on. IF tv service with this system is part of your rental agreement, they have a responsibility to get you up and running.

Reactions: . Raine
Im a system that uses a Q box what happens is that they take every satellite transponder and convert it to a QAM frequency which is between 40 and 900 MHz so it can be used with standard cable wiring and splitters.

So either 1 of 3 things.

Your system is wired for 110/119 and does not have the transcoders to carry HD programming.

The signal levels are off for the HD frequencies.

Your Q Box is bad

FYI, you need a transcoder for every satellite transponder. Just to do 119/110 it's $15,000

Adding 129 is another $8000

The theory behind QAM, it's cheaper to buy the equipment at the headend then pay for switches and have to re-wire an entire property.

The break even was 150 units where QAM made more sense over traditional dish pro switches.

With Directv it's so much less hassle and cheaper with SWM technology.

Granted QAM is nice, but the stupid Q Boxes are $50 each unless you have a receiver such as an 811 or 381 where the QAM Tuner is built in.

The other stupid thing about QAM, is they make you install the transcoders for all 50 transponders for 110/119 eventhough like 20 of them are never used due to spot beams.

Im a system that uses a Q box what happens is that they take every satellite transponder and convert it to a QAM frequency which is between 40 and 900 MHz so it can be used with standard cable wiring and splitters.

So either 1 of 3 things.

Your system is wired for 110/119 and does not have the transcoders to carry HD programming.

The signal levels are off for the HD frequencies.

Your Q Box is bad
Why does he also need a 211, then?

Claude,
If my complex were not wired for HD programming, wouldn't I not get it at all (rather than some channels coming in with visual artifacts)? I do suppose it's possible that my Q-box is bad, I got it from the installer who was sent out. If the signal levels are off, as you mentioned, is there anything I can do about that?
Thanks.

Claude,
If my complex were not wired for HD programming, wouldn't I not get it at all (rather than some channels coming in with visual artifacts)? I do suppose it's possible that my Q-box is bad, I got it from the installer who was sent out. If the signal levels are off, as you mentioned, is there anything I can do about that?
Thanks.
Some HD stations do come from Satellites 110/119 so some coming in does make sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)