Turbo & Existing Subs

trumanhorn

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Missouri
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still irked by Dish's decision not to offer the new Turbo HD Only packages to existing subscribers. I'm a big sports fan, and the reason I didn't switch to HD Absolute was that my RSNs aren't included in that package (but are in the new one). When I first heard that these new packages would both include the RSNs in HD and DVR Advantage, I was really excited. When I found out later that they would only be offered to new, first time customers, I was deeply disappointed.

Prior to Thursday's press release, I was assuming this was merely a software issue--we wouldn't be able to receive the MPEG-4 channels. Unless I'm reading it wrong, however, it appears that they will roll out upgrades to existing 622's and 722's in the coming months. My question (after this long-winded post) is why Dish won't allow us to pick up the new package when they upgrade us? I only have one 622 on my account, and the sooner I can switch, the better.

I think Dish is in a difficult spot here! If they made the new "TurboHD" packages(Mpeg 4 only!)available to all subscribers many would have at least one mpeg 2 receiver on their account that would need an immediate upgrade. If they made it available to customers who only have Vip series(Mpeg 4) receivers on their account then they would outraged customers who don't have them. However, making your HD RSN available with the HD-absolute package would have been a small compromise for SOME subscribers. At least they added more HD channels!

I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still irked by Dish's decision not to offer the new Turbo HD Only packages to existing subscribers. I'm a big sports fan, and the reason I didn't switch to HD Absolute was that my RSNs aren't included in that package (but are in the new one). When I first heard that these new packages would both include the RSNs in HD and DVR Advantage, I was really excited. When I found out later that they would only be offered to new, first time customers, I was deeply disappointed.

Prior to Thursday's press release, I was assuming this was merely a software issue--we wouldn't be able to receive the MPEG-4 channels. Unless I'm reading it wrong, however, it appears that they will roll out upgrades to existing 622's and 722's in the coming months. My question (after this long-winded post) is why Dish won't allow us to pick up the new package when they upgrade us? I only have one 622 on my account, and the sooner I can switch, the better.

I was told yesterday by a CSR that people with Absolute will be able to get turbo Feb 2009

I think Dish is in a difficult spot here! If they made the new "TurboHD" packages(Mpeg 4 only!)available to all subscribers many would have at least one mpeg 2 receiver on their account that would need an immediate upgrade. If they made it available to customers who only have Vip series(Mpeg 4) receivers on their account then they would outraged customers who don't have them. However, making your HD RSN available with the HD-absolute package would have been a small compromise for SOME subscribers. At least they added more HD channels!

Dish offered a free upgrade to any customer with a MGEP2 HD reciever since they are shutting down MPEG2 HD today, and replacing it with MPEG4

Yes in February of 2009 existing subs will have access to the Turbo packages....

I think Dish is in a difficult spot here! If they made the new "TurboHD" packages(Mpeg 4 only!)available to all subscribers many would have at least one mpeg 2 receiver on their account that would need an immediate upgrade. If they made it available to customers who only have Vip series(Mpeg 4) receivers on their account then they would outraged customers who don't have them.
That is an excellent presumption and it's very logical. Dish can control what receivers a new customer gets, but can't do that with existing customers. Do they replace customers MPEG2 receivers for free because the customer is requesting this change ? No, they shouldn't. Should they offer to sell customers a new MPEG4 receiver for some cost ? Maybe not a bad idea.

Then you have those who only have MPEG4 receivers and Dish could switch them over easily but then it's a case of some existing customers can switch when others can't ..... "and that's not fair !!".

When you factor in common sense and logic, their plan or rules makes sense.

I have HD Absolute, just got off the phone with dish, I can change package to turbo if I want. However, RSN is not available in the turbo packages unless broadcast 24/7 HD. FoxRM is game only so would not get it if I switched.

**I just posted this as a new topic in the Dish Forum like, 1 minute before I saw this thread...sorry!**

I am an existing (6 years) E* customer and I currently subscribe to AT200 and what is the equivalent to Turbo Silver. I want to upgrade to what is now called Turbo Gold. However, if I'm correct, this is only for NEW customers. So, without contacting a E* CSR, if at all possible, can anyone tell me what I qualify for being an existing customer? Would it be the old package that's a step up from what I have now (I can't remember the pkg. name...Essential, maybe- It was the middle HD pkg.) at the OLD price?

I don't follow, AbsoluteHD is essentially TurboGOLD. I have AbsoluteHD only, not other packages and I have a 622 and 501. I can watch the SD equivilants of any of the HD channels on the 501. and don;t have a problme, so why woud I need an upgrade to get Turbo?

I don't follow, AbsoluteHD is essentially TurboGOLD. I have AbsoluteHD only, not other packages and I have a 622 and 501. I can watch the SD equivilants of any of the HD channels on the 501. and don;t have a problme, so why woud I need an upgrade to get Turbo?
You get the SD equivalents of Disney, Toon Disney, ABC Family, ESPNnews, and Bravo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)