Turbo HD Packages any updates?

s10zr2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Anyone hear of any updates to the turbo HD packages yet? A while back scott reported that dish now knows they are missing channels in the turbo packages and were working on a solution. I wouldn't think it would be that hard, or take that much time to add some channels to the packages.

if they ever get it fixed, I would definitely change to an HD only package. Glad I went with what I did for now.

I would really like a DishFamily HD package!

Unfortunately this is one of those cases that you get screwed either way.

If you are TurboHD you are getting screwed by not getting new HD content.

If you switch to Classic HD you get screwed by higher prices.

Either way you get screwed ... it just depends on what position you prefer ... :rant:

Scott replied to one of my posts yesterday and mentioned that the Turbo package could go away due to the issues involved. I'd hate to see that happen. If Fox and Viacom can't be made to see the light, I think E* should just be up front and state in the Turbo package descriptions they cannot guarantee all HD channels can be made available due to program provider restrictions. I'd also rename the darn things to eliminate the expected 1:1 correspondence to the Classic packages. Maybe Turbo, Turbo Boost, and Turbo Max. I dunno. That would solve most of the problems I would think. I'd suggest anyone who wants Turbo better get it pretty quick. Removing Turbo from its own position on the front programming page may be the first, and maybe only, warning shot. Hopefully existing subs will be grandfathered if they drop it.

Turbo Gold if all HD is added.

Well its sounds like I will never have a chance to move up from HD Silver to Gold as Dish sounds like they will never add the rest of available HD to Gold.Its too bad they lose 10.00 a month from me and problably alot of others.
If Turbo HD goes away Dish will lose me as a Customer as I have no need for Dishes SD channels and will not pay extra due to Dishes contracts with providers.
I signed up with Dish for The HD only packages if they cant provide I will find a carrier that will.

Well its sounds like I will never have a chance to move up from HD Silver to Gold as Dish sounds like they will never add the rest of available HD to Gold.Its too bad they lose 10.00 a month from me and problably alot of others.
If Turbo HD goes away Dish will lose me as a Customer as I have no need for Dishes SD channels and will not pay extra due to Dishes contracts with providers.
I signed up with Dish for The HD only packages if they cant provide I will find a carrier that will.

I understand the sentiment, but, currently, there is no other national provider that I'm aware of that offers HD-only programming. Let us know if you know of one.

i doubt any other company will attempt an hd only package if dish decides to drop theirs. its obvious that some programmers do not want their channels to not be offered this way and that will be what will prohibit it.

i doubt any other company will attempt an hd only package if dish decides to drop theirs. its obvious that some programmers do not want their channels to not be offered this way and that will be what will prohibit it.

So far that is only Viacom and Fox. Even Viacom allows half of their channels to be placed in the Turbo packages. I don't understand Fox at all. CNN is the only cable news channel in the Turbo packages. You'd think they'd want theirs in there as well. Oh well. Their loss afaic. We Turbos have nearly everything of any worth now so it's still a good deal with the lowered price.

Scott replied to one of my posts yesterday and mentioned that the Turbo package could go away due to the issues involved.
Wow, they sure have changed their tune!!! Last time he told TurboHD customers to "be patient" and that Dish Network was going to "kake you happy. :)". Sadly, as I suspect they were just lying -- yet AGAIN -- trying to string people along. It's horrible how deceitful Dish Network is to their customers (and potential customers)! :mad:

I understand the sentiment, but, currently, there is no other national provider that I'm aware of that offers HD-only programming. Let us know if you know of one.
True, but if I am going to have to pay more at Dish Network then I might as well pay that same amount to DirecTV and get RSN 24/7 so I can see all the HD (and even SD) games -- not just one every now and then!

So far that is only Viacom and Fox. Even Viacom allows half of their channels to be placed in the Turbo packages. I don't understand Fox at all. CNN is the only cable news channel in the Turbo packages. You'd think they'd want theirs in there as well.
Honestly, I don't think it is really the providers that are holding things up here. It is classic Charlie pinching every little penny even if it means screwing his customers. That $10/month price hike to Turbo HD packages was suppose to cover all these new channels, but instead Charlie is just pocketing the money!!

I would agree. By holding the popular Fox News Channel "hostage" he can force subscribers to purchase the full price plan, not Turbo. That's money in Charlies' pocket.

He is using the same strategy in putting Logo in Platinum. You want the channels bad enough? Fine. But you will pay through the ying yang.

I would agree. By holding the popular Fox News Channel "hostage" he can force subscribers to purchase the full price plan, not Turbo. That's money in Charlies' pocket.

He is using the same strategy in putting Logo in Platinum. You want the channels bad enough? Fine. But you will pay through the ying yang.

Except there are more people probably wanting to watch USA, Disney or any number of other channels than Fox News, I would guess. If that were the case, why not hold some of those channels hostage and really force subs to the other packages. Viacom allowed about half of their channels to be placed in the HD only packages, the other half they didn't. The half they didn't were tied to packages that had SD-only channels included like MTV2, The-N, etc. I understand that although I disagree with it, as Viacom is giving up revenue it could have had but doesn't get from the Turbo Subs. Fox is a mystery though.

From what I am hearing... (RUMOR ALERT!)

The TurboHD packages could be going away in August. It seems that a few programmers do not want their channels in a HD only package. Dish has been trying to work with these programmers but looks like hey are not budging.

Again this is just a rumor, but thats the buzz I am hearing.

Why would the companies not want their channels in as many different packages as possible?

Why would they not want viewers of Turbo packages to see their programs and watch their commercials?

Why would the companies not want their channels in as many different packages as possible?

Why would they not want viewers of Turbo packages to see their programs and watch their commercials?

Probably because they are stupid enough to think that we watch the channels that they have which aren't HD. They think by forcing customers into having the channels that they will make more off advertising whether we watch the commercial on those channels or not.

From what I am hearing... (RUMOR ALERT!)

The TurboHD packages could be going away in August. It seems that a few programmers do not want their channels in a HD only package. Dish has been trying to work with these programmers but looks like hey are not budging.

Again this is just a rumor, but thats the buzz I am hearing.

E* should keep the packages and be up front and say that certain providers like Fox and Viacom won't allow them to place their channels in all-HD packages. I'd hate to lose my Turbo package and end up paying more to actually get less.

The TurboHD packages could be going away in August. It seems that a few programmers do not want their channels in a HD only package. Dish has been trying to work with these programmers but looks like they are not budging.
I do no doubt this is what you are being told, but at the same time I think this is just more deception and half-truths from Dish Network.

If Charlie was willing to pay a small premium to get some of these channels into the HD-only package then he could make it happen; after all TurboHD subs are already paying a premium for the HD-only packages (the cost cost per channel ratio is higher). If Charlie isn't going to give TurboHD subs any more new channels then maybe they need to get rid of the $10/month price hike the just had!!! :mad:

If Dish Network elmimates the TurboHD channels then that all but proves their sole purpose was to be part of the bait-and-switch scheme that many people feel they have been tricked by. If Charlie thinks he's bleeding to many customers now, just wait...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)