TurboHD questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

davethis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I am sorry if these have already been asked/answered, I have searched but did not find anything

Besides going 1080p, what is the TurboHD?

Currently we pay $10/month for the BronzeHD package, with TurboHD, is this going to go up to $24.99. That is a 150% price increase. I am not a TV buff, so I will probably not even notice the difference

How can I tell when I got the software upgrade? (I currently do not have our 622 hooked up to our home network, so we do not use Dish OnDemand, so I can not use that to check)

Thanks,
Dave

TurboHD has been used to refer to the software running in your DVR unit (the new software is version L6.10 I believe, and I think the information menu you are looking for can be found while pressing either menu or info while your system is in standby) or the new HD packages Dish is now offering.

If you already have an HD package your price shouldn't go up (mine didn't), you will be "grandfathered" in to the package closest to what you have now. I believe the price will go up some time in the future (next year?), but I believe that the new prices kick in yearly anyway (I've only been a Dish customer since May so I wouldn't know...).

Hope that helped, at least a little. Basically, don't worry about the new terminology too much unless you're looking to upgrade/downgrade your package right this moment.

Basically, don't worry about the new terminology too much unless you're looking to upgrade/downgrade your package right this moment.

Thanks, Currently we have the BronzeHD and PlatinumHD. I was going to try and remove the PlatinumHD from our account, since we never watch those channel, but maybe I will hold off now.

Turbo is a PR gimmick. The only difference is the ability to download and display 1080p content from VOD portion of HD.

There is no change in regular programming quality - that is not what "Turbo" refers to.

Its the 1080p VOD programming.

Turbo is a PR gimmick. The only difference is the ability to download and display 1080p content from VOD portion of HD.

There is no change in regular programming quality - that is not what "Turbo" refers to.

Its the 1080p VOD programming.

I didn't think it was totally a PR gimmick, that it also had something to do with the MPEG4 rollover. But I could easily be wrong...

The Turbo HD package is actually the all hd only programming offered only to ne dish customers, i kind of replaces the absolute hd package, it will be available to currnet customer on 2/1/09, other the names of the HD packages just changed , it's the exact same programming as before.

Agreed, Turbo HD is not a gimmick. The latest software is part of the new proprietary turbo-coding method that allows for greater throughput. However, the latest turbo-coding schemes can be extremely complex and demanding on the processor, and it has to process really fast.

It is the exact programming as before, but at a 150% PRICE INCREASE. I will stick with the HD Absolute until they try to raise my price 150%, then I will tell them to shove it up their (you know what). I will switch to D just to spite them, if they try to raise my price that much for the HD Absolute.

It is the exact programming as before, but at a 150% PRICE INCREASE. I will stick with the HD Absolute until they try to raise my price 150%, then I will tell them to shove it up their (you know what). I will switch to D just to spite them, if they try to raise my price that much for the HD Absolute.
Fuzzy Math!

Maybe when they say "You've been Turbocharged" that means the price increase. Maybe the phrase Turbocharge is just a fancy way of saying we are adding phantom charges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)