Turn HD-A1 off or leave it on?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Normally I turn my equipment off when not in use. But I've been told it is better to leave computers on when not in use. Because the HD-A1 seems to work more like a computer than a standard dvd player I thought I'd ask what others are doing? It does go through a long loading process when first turned on. Does it harm anything to just leave it on?

Turning it off and on probably puts more wear on it than leaving it on all the time. I turn mine off anyway, though, because it puts out a fair amount of heat.

If I was using it more, I would leave it on. Since I only use it for HD DVDs which isnt that many, its off all the time. I use my Xbox 360 for regular DVD watching. Navigation is much better and plays all my DVD formats.

My TV has only one port for HDMI/DVI so I use the HD-A1 for upconversion a lot. It does such a good job that I dropped from Platinum to Gold. I think the PQ for upconverted DVD is about the same as HBOHD and better than StarzHD. Watched the Sentinel last night and thought the PQ was very good.

Last edited:
The PNW has a very mild climate and my setup is totally in the open. So far I haven't noticed that much heat. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts