Turner Classic Movies - Eastern Arc - audio out of sync (and more)

Lance Rock

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I know they added a 9th HD channel to 61.5 transponder 25 today (CI), and unfortunately its effects were immediately noticeable on probably my favorite channel -- Turner Classic Movies HD. The audio is now out of sync, the picture is occasionally stuttering and dropping frames, and there are heavy compression artifacts (fades look really nasty, mosquito and block noise, and the picture is more washed out and diffuse). I realize that 77 taking a dive caused all of this Eastern Arc reshuffling, but please tell me DISH, that you're not going to keep things this way in the future? This 9 and even 10 channels per transponder has got to stop. Picture quality and bits DO matter!

I know that this was an emergency situation, capacity is stuffed to the max and and desperate measures were required, but this move to 61.5 and resulting over-maxing *is* only temporary...right?

When did TCM-HD end up on 61.5? This is good for me since I don't have a EA dish.

It was moved there, along with a whole bunch of other channels, during the post-77 malfunction reshuffle. Apparently, rather than just adding the channels directly from 77 to 61.5, they need to balance the power structure. Hence, why some 72.7s were moved to 61.5 instead.

Unfortunately, the whole 77 malfunction (albeit somewhat understandingly under the circumstances given their space limitations), has forced them to up the number of channels per transponder. They basically added one channel to most existing transponders. Thus, we're up to 9 on nearly all, and even 10 channels on one, for 72.7 and 61.5. I'm just hoping they don't continue to cram as a long-term plan. I feel its effects were visible in the last few days on some channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)