Turning a mesh BUD into a fiberglass?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
I would think it would be possible to 'coat' a mesh with fiberglass as to turn it into a much better ku receiver. Anyone ever tried it?

edit: could a mod. please spellcheck my post header (my finger apparently likes the letter g)

Many fiberglass reflectors are not good on Ku-band, it is the internal mesh that counts, a solid metal reflector is always best, if you would not want to spend the money on a 10' or 12' solid you can keep the mesh dish for C-band and setup a 1.2 meter dish for Ku-band.

This dish contines to provide stellar C and Ku performance after 15 harsh years in the heart of Ohio's snow belt.

Dish12foot01.JPG
http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/709/cat/500/ppuser/48579

The fibreglass itself likely is only there for structure, not reflection of signal. Perhaps coating or backing the course mesh with a finer window screen would improve the signal on Ku.

If you cannot fit a regular pencil lead into the holes, then the mesh would be fine for Ku band. And adding fiber glass to a mesh would make it heavier and have a greater wind load which could cause problems. But, even a mesh dish with holes that are a bit larger should work, if the dish is large enough. I have had in the past a 10' dish with holes that were a bit larger than the pencil lead test and it still worked good. I now have an 8' mesh with holes smaller than a regular pencil lead and it works good too.
grusome

Status
Please reply by conversation.