Turning in my HD Receiver - Need duel tuner DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

buckeyered

Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
I have had Dishnetwork for about 6 months and I am very happy except for
the HD package, I dropped the HD package due to very few channels and I
am using the receiver with my antenna for local HD.
I have a duel tuner 625 upstairs and the HD tuner downstairs, I called
Dish asking if I can turn in my HD receiver for another 625 and they
said no that they are not available as an add on, only on new installs.
I
was given the option of keeping the HD receiver and use it for non HD
Dish channels or turn it in and get a single tuner DVR for 100.00 fee.
They said I can buy my own DVR but said it would have to have a clean
card or they wont activate it, what would be my cheapest route on
getting another duel tuner without getting burned on ebay? If I wait 6
months for my contract to be up would they give me another duel tuner
then? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Welcome to Satguys :) I would wait.. :D.. Between voom, and the hd pack how is that not enough hd. but anyhow... There is more hd on the horizon. Stay tuned for CES (jan 4th - 8th) as we know ESPN2HD and the remaining voom channels right along with networks hd Will launch at or around CES. That leads up to the possibility of 40+ hd channels within two weeks. But if you absolutly want the best of both worlds Get a 622 when its released in feb (mpg 4 & 2 hd dvr. ) :)

Buckeyered,

I take it that you do not currently nor do you plan in the near future to be connecting this duel tuner DVR to a HDTV set, correct? Otherwise you should either get or stay with a 921 or 942. If you have a HDTV set, can you pull in any HDTV channels over the air? A HD STB will likely do a better job of upconverting SD than your TV. You should experiment with your current HD box (a leased 811 perhaps) and your 625 and see what gives you a better picture before you make up your mind.

A HD STB will likely do a better job of upconverting SD than your TV. ?

I have a problem with my 942. Cable looks beter than Dish, the picture
is as my wife calls it is fuzzy on all but HD chanels. Will a set top box help?
what kind of STB do you recomend?
Thanks in advance,:hatsoff:

HatGuy said:
A HD STB will likely do a better job of upconverting SD than your TV. ?
I have a problem with my 942. Cable looks beter than Dish, the picture
is as my wife calls it is fuzzy on all but HD chanels. Will a set top box help?
what kind of STB do you recomend?
Thanks in advance,:hatsoff:

Hatguy,

Anytime you try to display SD on an HD set the picture will not look very good. The reason is the SD signal doesn't have enough bits of information to resolve or display on your HD's set many more pixels.

If you think your SD picture is bad coming from the 942 wait till you connect a regular Dish SD receiver it will look even worse.

A side note, if you wanted the higher resolution picture and paid the premium to get an HD TV why would you want LESS HD and NOT MORE HD.

When I get an HD set later this year. I will be looking to get every single HD channel Dish can provide to me, NOT less.

Before you start the rant about not wanting to pay more for HD content, why and how did you justify droping a grand PLUS on the TV itself, and then get all CHEAP on getting the actual HD content I JUST DON'T GET THAT AT ALL.

Its like somebody going out and buying a 2 grand plus state of the art computer and then complaining his/her internet sucks and saying, "I thought this computer was suppose to be fast". The reason he/her was too cheap to get a broadband connection.

John

Last edited:
If Dish adds more HD channels soon then I would sign back up with a HD package but I would want a HD duel tuner recorder, is the 622 a duel tuner? I couldnt find out much about it and will I have to buy one from an outside source or will Dish offer upgrade special?

goaliebob99 said:
Welcome to Satguys :) I would wait.. :D.. Between voom, and the hd pack how is that not enough hd. but anyhow... There is more hd on the horizon. Stay tuned for CES (jan 4th - 8th) as we know ESPN2HD and the remaining voom channels right along with networks hd Will launch at or around CES. That leads up to the possibility of 40+ hd channels within two weeks. But if you absolutly want the best of both worlds Get a 622 when its released in feb (mpg 4 & 2 hd dvr. ) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)