turning legacy lnb's into dp lnb's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ramnet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't plan to do this anytime soon, but I was just wondering if any such animal exists.

Is there a device (switch perhaps) that will combine the 13v and 18v H and V polarity's from a legacy dual LNBF and combine them on a single cable - essentially the reverse of the DP to legacy adapter. A DP receiver would then see the legacy LNBF as a DP LNBF, and you could use all the DP goodies on the market.

I'm sure DN doesn't make one, but a third party might.

Unless you enjoy Frankenstein-ing satellite gear as a hobby, why would you try that? It would be less hassle and probably cheaper to spend a few bucks (literally, a few) on a DP dual or $5-10 on a used DPP Twin.

Well, it's not really the most practical thing to do, but it would be useful for mixing DP and Legacy LNBF's together, not to mention allowing DP/DiSEqC switches/splitters/etc to be used (which are cheaper than legacy switches since they are more common) (If you're pointed at 5 sats with mixed equipment then it's cheaper to adapt part of the system than redo the whole thing - a real world example, albiet rare)

It's also useful when you're mixing DN and FTA and you don't want a huge investment to upgrade all your legacy equipment.

As for price, I can't imagine it costing more than one of these - the unit i'm thinking of would essentially be the same thing except each of the four output's has H+V transponder's mixed together - which should make it cheaper since the unit doesn't have to respond to 13v/18v voltage pulses from the receiver.

It's also useful when you're mixing DN and FTA and you don't want a huge investment to upgrade all your legacy equipment.

how would it be useful considering on a FTA system there is a handful (NASA, Angel One and a couple barker channels) in the clear. Always best to keep the FTA setup (30" dish, KU LNB etc) apart from the Dish setup

I mean FTA installation equipment (non-reciever's) - a DisEqC switch is much cheaper than a legacy DN switch, or for that matter a DP switch (which as far as I know is exactly like a DisEqC switch)

Besides, linear FTA lnb's are just like legacy DN lnb's as far as I know (as far as the switch is concerned, the linear and legacy circular lnb's are the same - H+V via 13/18v current). And there are other circular DBS Ku birds up there besides the DN one's. And what if all I want are those few channels off the DN Ku birds anyway (avoid adding a bigger dish elsewhere - I have limited space on the south side, and I don't want to bother with the motorized stuff)

Again, I know this isn't all that practical, but theoretically it could be done, and I'm just wondering if anyone's actually done it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts