turning off DISH but keeping VIP722

drmorb

Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
pennsylvania
Is this possible to do? ie I have a couple tb of movies and would like to basically keep as a dvr library. Not impressed w/the amount of content I'm getting at 80/mo. Would the vip eventually stop working? Would they even let me purchase the vip? Anyone ever done this? thx

Is this possible to do? ie I have a couple tb of movies and would like to basically keep as a dvr library. Not impressed w/the amount of content I'm getting at 80/mo. Would the vip eventually stop working? Would they even let me purchase the vip? Anyone ever done this? thx

If you have an external hard drive I don't think that will work after deactivation. If you don't send the receiver back after unsubbing you will be charged for it. You can buy a lot of DVDs or rent lots of them via Netflix or BB Online for what E* is going to charge you for the receiver. Why not just lower your package to Turbo Bronze. That's $30 or $40 with locals and DVR Advantage.

The short answer to the question is no.

The long answer to the question is hell no.

Modern satellite receivers will not function without relatively frequent authorization that comes only with a subscription to the service.

The short answer to the question is no.

The long answer to the question is hell no.

Modern satellite receivers will not function without relatively frequent authorization that comes only with a subscription to the service.

Then is there any point in purchasing the receiver?

I had heard it mentioned on one of these forums that there is a lease option? Is this true? How do I know what I am doing? I believe I received the receiver (ViP722) for free with a 2yr contract. Would I have been better off leasing it? How much is the lease/mo?

Then is there any point in purchasing the receiver?

I had heard it mentioned on one of these forums that there is a lease option? Is this true? How do I know what I am doing? I believe I received the receiver (ViP722) for free with a 2yr contract. Would I have been better off leasing it? How much is the lease/mo?

You are leasing it. If you shut off service, the receiver must be returned to Dish. If you do not return it, you will be charged full purchase price for the receiver.

downgrade to the 10 per month welcome package. then you can still watch your DVR library and watch OTA locals, ;)

u could return it and get a stand alone dvd burner and record dvds for libary transfer the recordings before sending reciver back

Isn't the content encrypted so it can't be played of anything but an authorized receiver?

I think the suggestion of a low-end turbo HD package would be appealing if all I wanted is to reduce my bill (and still get a pretty good package of channels).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts