Turning "off" the inactivity timeout function on a Joey

falconress

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
NY
What could happen if I changed the "Inactivity Timeout" on a Joey to "off"?

I have a family member with cognitive difficulties who sometimes gets confused by the “inactivity timeout” countdown message when they turn on the TV. They think something broke, and wait for someone to get home and help them. I wish the Joey could just be turned off when the TV is turned off, but apparently that is not possible.

If I set the "inactivity timeout" to "off," the Joey will never go inactive, and also will not reset automatically every night. The option is available but “not recommended.” What could go wrong?

The daily automatic reset does not seem to function anyway. Today I saw that no new software was downloaded for either the Hopper or the Joey since April 24, even though they reset at 2:00 AM every day. I updated them manually, and I can easily update the Joey manually every couple of days.

Can I safey turn off “inactivity timeout” for the Joey? TIA

What could happen if I changed the "Inactivity Timeout" on a Joey to "off"?

I have a family member with cognitive difficulties who sometimes gets confused by the “inactivity timeout” countdown message when they turn on the TV. They think something broke, and wait for someone to get home and help them. I wish the Joey could just be turned off when the TV is turned off, but apparently that is not possible.

If I set the "inactivity timeout" to "off," the Joey will never go inactive, and also will not reset automatically every night. The option is available but “not recommended.” What could go wrong?

The daily automatic reset does not seem to function anyway. Today I saw that no new software was downloaded for either the Hopper or the Joey since April 24, even though they reset at 2:00 AM every day. I updated them manually, and I can easily update the Joey manually every couple of days.

Can I safey turn off “inactivity timeout” for the Joey? TIA
Yes, you can turn it off and just power it on and off manually

Reactions: papachops
Thanks so much for reading this. I'm going to try it for 48 hours. I am afraid that if it is unable to automatically reset at a certain hour each night, it will give me a "system refresh please wait" message, which just shuts down the system entirely. But I will try, and if it doesn't work I will go back to the default.

Reactions: papachops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)