TV 2 Does Not Receive Stereo Audio

satviewer

Sep 12, 2004
I just discovered, after having our 522 system installed, that TV 2 does not receive stereo audio through the 522s channel 21 -69 out port, which is required to use TV 2. I did notice come RCA A/V outputs on the 522, and was wondering if TV 2 would function normally (including stereo audio) if connected to them.

Yes, the TV2 RCA outputs should work fine, but the TV2 UHF output is supposed to be stereo, so it might be worth following up with additional testing.

The indicator on my remote TVs show that they are getting stereo audio from the TV2 output. The cable run to my TV2 sets are over 100 ft and goes through a four-way splitter.

satviewer said:
TV2 is about twenty feet away.

Hmm... sounds like a bad 522 to me. not sure without more testing. I would suggest if its a big concern to move the tv2 to the same room and hook up a short cable from tv2 out into that tv and see if it gets stereo then. if not sounds like either there is an option to turn this on or that its a bad modulator.

I thought the Ch. 21-69 TV2 output was supposed to be mono. The 522 manual says: "The CH 21-69 OUT connection provides good quality video and mono (non-stereo) output for the remote TV(s)." :confused:

Re: Stereo Audio

Thanks to everyone replying to this thread.
I'm a bit confused because the 522 user's manual states on page 19 " The CH 21- 69 OUT connection provides good quality video and mono (non-stereo) audio for the remote TV(s). That is the reason why I believe TV2 is getting a mono (Left and Right channel) signal. I have the audio outputs of my TV patched to my A/V receiver, and there is no true stereo separation output from the speakers. When I select another source on the A/V receiver, the signal output from the speakers is true srereo, as opposed to "double" mono.

The DVR522's features list under "TV2 connections" clearly states:
1 agile modulated output (channels 21-69; 73-125); stereo audio.
This feature was heavily promoted by DISH when the 522 was coming out so it's hard to explain the confusion in the manual.

I had some friends who got a 811/522 system from me and they set up surround sound systems in 3 rooms. I fed the TV2 RF output to the stereo TVs in rooms accross the house and they work fine with DPL II C for video and DPL II M for music.

The 322 TV2 Output is only Mono whereas the 522 TV2 Output is Stereo. Perhaps the reason the 522 manual is wrong is that it is copied from the 322

JohnDoe#2 said:
The DVR522's features list under "TV2 connections" clearly states: This feature was heavily promoted by DISH when the 522 was coming out so it's hard to explain the confusion in the manual.

On what page of the user's guide is the features list for the 522 TV2 connections listed?

JohnDoe#2 said:
The DVR522's features list under "TV2 connections" clearly states: This feature was heavily promoted by DISH when the 522 was coming out so it's hard to explain the confusion in the manual.
1 agile modulated output (channels 21-69; 73-125); stereo audio.

My User's manual states the quote I posted earlier. There is nothing about any agile modulated stereo audio outputs for ch 21-69 on tv's 1 or 2. In fact, it states the same information for TV1. It says the audio will be output into stereo if the RCA connections are used, and the audio will be output mono if the coaxial ports are used. Is this a typo, or is the manual correct? Everything does sound like mono coming from both speakers....

If in fact the text is the same for both TV1 and TV2, I suspect that's where the typo came from.

In truth, as hard as it may be to believe, it appears that someone actually thought about how the TV2 output was going to be used, and added an MTS encoder to the box. Shame it didn't make it to the 322 AFAIK.

Here's the way to tell. Go to your TV's menu and cycle through the display modes looking for current audio status. It should say Stereo. If not, hit the TV's settings menus until you find the audio cotrols and enable MTS stereo. If it's not there, your set probably doesn't have an MTS decoder, ad you're going to have to look at other solutions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)