kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
Hi,
I didn't know where else to post this.
I have a 15" Polaroid LCD Tv.
My problem is this: no matter how I change the settings on the DTV H-20 receiver, I cannot get the Tv to display full screen, there is a one inch black bar at the top and bottom, and a one and one half inch bar at the sides.
I am using the HDMI input to the Tv. Once I did this, the "Picture Size" option became "Not Adjustable".
Anyone have any Ideas???

15" (is that a typo?)

What is the model number of that TV? (what adjustments options does it offer?)

What display res method do you have setup on the receiver?

Polaroid TLA-01511c. HD Widescreen with ATSC tuner. 720p/1080i.
You can select Full, Wide or Normal. As soon as you plug in the HDMI, I lose the ability to select between these 3 options. I went into the DTV H20, and fooled with the settings, still a small but excellent HD picture. The receiver allows standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9.
from the remote, you can select from 480i, crop 480p, pillarbox, etc. all the way up to 1080i You can also select "Native". There is no change in picture size, no matter what I do. This is annoying, with it being an already small 15.4 inch picture.

Well I am not sure on the display yet, trying to research it. I know how small the view is BUT OAR would still be the preferred view for HD programming right?

I my HDMI & component connected displays, I can still choose the various picture options; on the display AND via the receiver.

Try this:

DirecTV Reciever
NATIVE (OFF)
FORMAT (STRETCH)
TV TYPE 16:9
TV Resolutions (setup only one - 720p or 1080i)

Your TV
stretch or zoom

Does that help?

OAR = Original Aspect Ratio (the way the director filmed it and intends it to be viewed)

Widescreen-o-Rama! All About Aspect Ratios

The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen DVD for Everyone!

Aspect ratio (image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Attached is a great common example of when a DVD is cropped from the OAR; it somewhat applies when a user does the same thing. The red box would be what you see and the rest is what you miss.

EDIT: I can't get it to upload here, but this is the link:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/7/74/PanScan7BridesPan.gif

charper1,
Thanks, I now have a better understanding of how these things work and why.
There is a work-around for this, but I have 3 receivers and 3 inputs on the Tv. 4 if you count the RF in which is out of the question.
I'll have to see if I can find a video/ audio switch for s-video or component video. If not using the HDMI input, I can adjust size.

Last edited:
Well you were just trying to help a DOPE. LOL
It never occurred to me to change channels to see if it was the Sci-Fi channel or the Tv.
D'oh
Thanks for all your help and
I am sorry to have wasted your time.

Ahh so they were showing a program that was letterboxed? Yep, you can't do anything about that. No worries. You are no dope, glad you got it figured out. ENJOY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)