Tv Dx? (OTA)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1097

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I don't see an anolog OTA board so I decided to post it here.

Anyone else here into TV Dxing? meaning the catching of distant OTA signals?

This past Saturday , I caught my 1st ever e-skip signals here in Elyria, Ohio

Between 1:30 and 3PM (abouts) I was able to catch KDFW Fox 4, from Dallas Texas which had an Oakland/NY Yankees baseball game on (the Rangers were in rain delay). Distance: 1,001 miles
and also caught KAKT TV 4, an NBC from Little Rock, Ark, showing their Saturday Afternoon block of "Discovery Kids" distance: 722 miles.

KDFW and KAKT were basically fighting over my TV.. I was able to get some signals on channel 2 and distant audio that took over my local channel 3, but could not identify any of them.

Ive caught various tropo DX stations from Detroit, Windsor Ontario, London Ontario,Erie PA, Dayton OH, Flint MI, Steubenville OH, ANgola IN, and Buffalo NY. These range form 70-210 miles (about)

Last edited:
Are you using a regular antenna or something more sinister?

I used to do something similiar to this with am radio when I was a kid, my father would take me and some of the other guys up north in michigan camping and I always took an am/fm transistor radio with me because on the low end of fm I could pick up various tv stations audio band.

Night time was the best for picking up radio stations from far away locations, it was always easy to pick up a chicago station about 200 miles or so away but the fun came from picking up stations out of other locations such as Florida or Arizona.

nothing too sinister.. just a coax cable taped up to a random metal rod.. ( I don't even know where I got it from) I could hook the tv up to the outdoor antenna but it would be troublesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.