tv image over fills screen

It's nothing to do with Dish or the Hopper. Set your TV to dot for dot or the equivalent for the brand. The 1080i will be fit your 1080p (or 4k) screen exactly, no overscan.

Reactions: TheKrell
Set your TV to dot for dot or the equivalent for the brand.
That's part of the problem. There is no agreed upon name for the various aspect ratios. Some say "Full". Some say "Normal". Some say "dot by dot". And they all mean the same thing.

I have an LG and it is called "Just" by that brand.

The Hopper will cure your problem. the ViP772 assumes a mixture of 16x9 and 4x3 televisions and so it has a plethora of combinations.
The Hopper assumes 16x9 all the way around and defaults to that.

Reactions: navychop
The next thing to do is to hookup another device (dvd player, game console, camera) to the same cable and see if you get the same result. If you do, the problem is with the tv (probably a setting). If you don't the problem is with the receiver.

Set your TV to dot for dot or the equivalent for the brand.

I have a cheap 32" Cielo that I bought at Walmart and I swear it overscans, at least on component from my H3, no matter what I do. (It has no such equivalent as dot for dot.) :mad

Reactions: Tampa8
I have a cheap 32" Cielo that I bought at Walmart and I swear it overscans, at least on component from my H3, no matter what I do. (It has no such equivalent as dot for dot.) :mad

My Brother has one. It was very inexpensive and seems cheaply made but what I would expect for the price. However for the room he has it in it's fine. I remember it being very thin? Never played with the controls. He got it at Sam's Club at an even reduced price from normal.

The problem as it turns out is definitely with the vip receiver. All the evidence points to that but it’s a moot point. Today a Dish tech replaced the going-on-10-year-old receiver with the latest hopper. Interesting to note here that as soon as the tech was present the tv screen was normal , no over scan. It knew it had reached the end of its usefulness and was trying. Maybe it’s my imagination but the colors and sharpness on the new Samsung Qled are better than before hopper and the image fills the screen as it should. Thank you to all for your consideration and comments, especially Hipcat whose original comment led to a decision to replace the receiver. I wish I had discovered Satellite Guys 2 years ago.

Over and out Shahid9

The problem as it turns out is definitely with the vip receiver. All the evidence points to that but it’s a moot point. Today a Dish tech replaced the going-on-10-year-old receiver with the latest hopper. Interesting to note here that as soon as the tech was present the tv screen was normal , no over scan. It knew it had reached the end of its usefulness and was trying. Maybe it’s my imagination but the colors and sharpness on the new Samsung Qled are better than before hopper and the image fills the screen as it should. Thank you to all for your consideration and comments, especially Hipcat whose original comment led to a decision to replace the receiver. I wish I had discovered Satellite Guys 2 years ago.

Over and out Shahid9
The Hopper 3 is a 4K receiver but also, you have much newer drivers, processors and more memory

Reactions: charlesrshell

First is it a 1080 line screen or 768 line? There is no "dot for dot" setting for a 1080 signal to a 768 TV. 768 TVs even fudge 720p signals. My first HDTV was 768 with a Dish 622, dealing with overscan was part of the deal. When I upgraded to a 1080p TV, I discovered overscan could be avoided by the dot for dot setting. It was interesting because a few of the HD channels were still using the top few lines of resolution to send audio control signals. On those channels you would see artifacts scrolling across the top of the screen in dot for dot mode. After a little while those channels did away with the artifact problem. 622s and 722s are perfectly capable of dot for dot with no overscan with 1080p TVs.

You should totally take a week off from work and count the dots for us...
We all have too much invested in this thread for you not to...

I'll keep refreshing this thread til you report back...

Good luck, we're all counting on you...

I appear to be mis-remembering those specs. I found the listing here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cielo-Te3258h-wt-32-Class-Led-lcd-720p/23709354 and it's 720 and not 1080. So... Getting back to Pat's original point, why exactly should the panel resolution mean that it will overscan with no option to fix it?

Reactions: Stormy_2021
...why exactly should the panel resolution mean that it will overscan with no option to fix it?

Simple, the 720p TVs have 768 lines of resolution, so dot for dot can't work with 720 or 1080 inputs. It's been a while, but I think the earlier DVRs allowed you to move the image around but not scale it. Hoppers allow you to shrink to fit to avoid overscan.

Simple, the 720p TVs have 768 lines of resolution, so dot for dot can't work with 720 or 1080 inputs. It's been a while, but I think the earlier DVRs allowed you to move the image around but not scale it. Hoppers allow you to shrink to fit to avoid overscan.
SEE POST #4

Simple, the 720p TVs have 768 lines of resolution, so dot for dot can't work with 720 or 1080 inputs.

I can't believe a Cielo or any other "bedroom TV" these days still has 768 lines! But even if it did, that in no way excuses overscanning my picture with no way to fix it.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)