TV Japan - Closed captions in Japanese?

pcrequest

Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I'm a native English speaker, and I'm learning Japanese. While in Japan for a bit, I found watching TV with closed captions on (both in Japanese to be clear) useful for learning. Can I do that with TV Japan on Dish? I want to do this in HD, if that makes any difference. I am not a current subscriber.

Also, are there other audio channels, like English, or captions in English? What percentage of the programming is offered with the alternate audio and captions?

Thanks!

To my knowledge TVJapan and EuroNews are the only channels that make use of the alternate audio. TVJapan gives the English Audio, EuroNews the Portugal audio. It's possible there are international channels that do that I would not know about but I have not seen anything in posts saying they do.

TVJapan gives native closed captioning, but I have not tried with them for sometime now. I am not sure EuroNews gives any. (They might for scripted news items)

To my knowledge TVJapan and EuroNews are the only channels that make use of the alternate audio. TVJapan gives the English Audio, EuroNews the Portugal audio. It's possible there are international channels that do that I would not know about but I have not seen anything in posts saying they do.

TVJapan gives native closed captioning, but I have not tried with them for sometime now. I am not sure EuroNews gives any. (They might for scripted news items)
I have never seen native closed caption on TV Japan, SD or HD. (Or, English CC, for that matter.) They do, however, have English SAP on some programs. But, to access English audio, you need to configure the Alternate Audio setting to Japanese . :rolleyes:

Quite sometime ago when it was on channel 640 (SD) on the 61.5 satellite they had native closed captioning. Have never tried since then.

It was on a second channel but do not remember where because it was not in my guide. It was before channel 641 was in the guide. (The Hawaiian spotbeam)

Thanks for the feedback, it seems there is a consensus some TVJ programming has alternate in English audio. That might be useful to DVR and watch a program in English for comprehension, then in Japanese. If it's not asking too much, can those with TVJ in HD turn on captions and verify they can view Japanese captions please? Do you enable captions on your DISH receiver, or the TV monitor? Did you try the multiple CC channels (i.e. CC1, CC2). Also, if you have many TVJ programs DVR'd, you could test things on many programs, rather than what they happen to be playing. Thanks!

Last edited:
The Channel LUXE.TV is an international travel channel that is in English, and it does also have a sub audio of French. For the first time today I saw a banner at the bottom of the channel announcing it, and Dish does provide it. So that is another channel with both English and another language.

Much appreciated if someone can check CC on TVJ. Thank you.

If it's not asking too much, can those with TVJ in HD turn on captions and verify they can view Japanese captions please? Do you enable captions on your DISH receiver, or the TV monitor? Did you try the multiple CC channels (i.e. CC1, CC2).

Also, if you have many TVJ programs DVR'd, you could test things on many programs, rather than what they happen to be playing. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts