TV Land HD ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I know, But what im saying is, most of the stuff they play on there now is reality shows and stupid movies. nothing like it use to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the older stuff for which there's still a film source available, is much higher than HD resolution and would need to be downconverted. Think Hogan's Heroes on HDNET or Flipper on VOOM.

well i would love to have retro tv from the FTA, but i live in NKY and there is no local channels that have it and i live in a apartment and i can't get a fta system. so it looks that i stuck only watching tv land for my great old school shows, but i have a feeling, its going to get worse and they either need to start a new channel "TVLand 2" or change the name of it to TVMTV or somthing, cause thats what its turning into. Doesn't MTV own them? hoping to be moving soon, than going to switch to a dish

I would think that most shows filmed from the 70s till the early/ mid 90s was filmed on video tape. That doesn't upconvert well. Although I have watched Saved By the Bell on Video tape on TBShd and it looks alright.

well i would love to have retro tv from the FTA, but i live in NKY and there is no local channels that have it and i live in a apartment and i can't get a fta system. so it looks that i stuck only watching tv land for my great old school shows, but i have a feeling, its going to get worse and they either need to start a new channel "TVLand 2" or change the name of it to TVMTV or somthing, cause thats what its turning into. Doesn't MTV own them? hoping to be moving soon, than going to switch to a dish

TvLand was great once, but they are nothing but mostly junk now. Going HD would be a real waste of bandwidth. I used to watch it all the time, but now I almost never do.

It's too bad so many of these sorts of channels start out great, and go to crap so quickly.

I remember when TV Land first started. They use to play classic commercials and I use to love them. Now this channel is starting to look too much just like any another cable channel and is loosing what I found so special about it with all of the NEW shows they put on. I think this channel needs to get back to what they use to be!

Um, what's the point? Few of these shows would benefit from HD. They're all filmed in 4:3 and usually on video tape. At least the ones from the 70's on.

Just because something is shot in 4:3 doesn't mean it cannot be HD... No where in the HD spec does it say that it has to be 16:9 aspect ratio (think movies). Star Trek: TOS is a great example of this.

Just because something is shot in 4:3 doesn't mean it cannot be HD... No where in the HD spec does it say that it has to be 16:9 aspect ratio (think movies). Star Trek: TOS is a great example of this.

Didn't say it had to. It was one of the factors I mentioned along with it being filmed on videotape, which is the more important one.

NOTHING is filmed on videotape, ever! Videotape can be recorded, shot, transcribed, carted, boxed, looped, rendered but it cannot be filmed.

Things are Filmed on FILM and only film. Pick your size and type, but it will always be film.

No one in the industry ever says something was filmed on videotape unless they are morons. Though the general public generally uses filmed as a generic term it is absolutely improper.

Just a pet peeve of mine. :)

See ya
Tony

Anything that was originated on SD video (think Cosby, Family Ties, all those 80's videotaped sitcoms, will NEVER see the light of HD day. Same for just about every other show from the 80's on that were filmed but Mastered on tape. They would have to be re-assembled from the original negatives. Very costly and unlikely to be done very often.

While the tapes may be SD, the quality difference is noticable. Much better than what SD channels deliver. An HD version of the channel would look much closer to HD than SD. The C-band feeds of many of these shows always looked far better than what came OTA or cable. I used to see many of these wild feeds. Far, far, far better than the overcompressed nonsense that DBS companies call SD. The SD on Dish/Direct should be called XLD, or extra low definition with extra high compression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)