TV Land HD ??

While the tapes may be SD, the quality difference is noticable. Much better than what SD channels deliver. An HD version of the channel would look much closer to HD than SD. The C-band feeds of many of these shows always looked far better than what came OTA or cable. I used to see many of these wild feeds. Far, far, far better than the overcompressed nonsense that DBS companies call SD. The SD on Dish/Direct should be called XLD, or extra low definition with extra high compression.
Totally agree. But for some who want TV Land HD, I'm just trying to explain the issue.

Looks like there is a plan in the works for TV Land HD. I found this in another forum. Notice TWC and Cablevision already have an agreement to carry the channel already even though there is no projected launch date.

Click here.

I would love to see Tvland in Hd. I don't really like watching anything in SD anymore.

But at least 1/2 of what they air can not be converted to HD. Those shot on film could, but at great expense. Anything shot on tape, never.

But at least 1/2 of what they air can not be converted to HD. Those shot on film could, but at great expense. Anything shot on tape, never.

I've noticed on the TV GAME Show Network ,since the conversion to hd , that even the older game shows like Match Game look sharper and clearer . Those shows were filmed on video tape and some look as sharp as today on the Hd channel version. I would hope that the conversion to hd for the Tv Land channel would produce similar results.

In the 70's,80' and 90's most shows were "shot on film" and then transferred to videotape when the effects were added in..its possible to redo the shows in HD but it would be expensive..shows from the 60's (ie Hogans heroes) look great in HD because the entire process was done on film

In the 70's,80' and 90's most shows were "shot on film" and then transferred to videotape when the effects were added in..its possible to redo the shows in HD but it would be expensive..shows from the 60's (ie Hogans heroes) look great in HD because the entire process was done on film
Most sitcoms from those years, which they are heavy with, were shot on tape. All In The Family, Sanford, Cosby, Jeffersons, Home Improvement, Roseanne, Nanny, etc.

Last edited:
Most sitcoms from those years, which they are heavy with, were shot on tape. All In The Family, Sanford, Cosby, Jeffersons, Home Improvement, Roseanne, Nanny, etc.

True, but they were not VHS, but high quality broadcast tape which looks practically like the HD Lite that is the common "HD" of today. Not to mention high quality lighting. I bet most would be surprised as to how good these shows have the potential of looking.

Yeah, TV-Land in HD. I can just see that. Oh, and probably just stretch-o-vision besides. Now just trying to watch anything LIVE on that channel is enough to drive you completely around the bend. There are so many commercials, it's hard to even skip them with a dvr! It's like 3 minutes of show, then 6 minutes of commercials, over and over, ad-naseum.

But Star Trek TOS isn't on BBC America. That is what he was saying. He would love to see TOS in BBCA HD

TOS HD was in syndication for a couple of years. Haven't seen it lately. NetFlicks has it available online. Good quality

I would love to see British programming on BBC America. I can accept that some of it is not BBC produced but it should at least be British. The Tudors i can sort of let slide a it was an American/Irish production but it was shown on the BBC around the same time and it is pretty clearly British themed.

But Star Trek: TOS is a stretch. OK Scotty was descended from British citizens and potentially some other characters were as well but that is reaching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)