TV Nets Cluttered Shows With Ads To Make Up For Lost Viewers In Q4

I actually stopped recording some shows because, even with commercial skipping, there's too many commercial breaks.

Ha..it annoys me to no end skipping through this crap. For me tv is much more enjoyable through roku apps & my 722 has taken a back seat with no foreseeable change.

I would like to see shows have 49 mins of show for every hour or 26 mins of show for every half hour show.
That's what it was like in the 60's and 70's...anyone with DVD season sets of shows from that time period can attest to that.

Reactions: TNGTony
And what's worse is the growing trend to streaming content makes it impossible (prohibited) to even SKIP those massive commercial blocks. Ture right now fewer commercials on streamig, but we all know that ads will INCREASE on streaming as time passes. I feel like we are doomed.

No kidding. The alternative: back to Dish or (for cheaper movies) Netflix DVDs by mail.

Funny you should mention that. My grandfather in-law is staying with us for a few weeks and I got him a few seasons of Quincy & Hart To Hart on DVD. I've watched the odd episode with him and each one was around 49 mins and those eps were 1979/80. Pretty good for network TV.

This is why I recorded Sons of Liberty even though I could have watched it in real time. I can then watch it and FF through the commercials, not as good as autohop but definitely he lesser of the evils. There are some channels (Sundance) that are so nauseating with their commercials I never watch anything in real time.

Reactions: papachops
And what's worse is the growing trend to streaming content makes it impossible (prohibited) to even SKIP those massive commercial blocks. Ture right now fewer commercials on streamig, but we all know that ads will INCREASE on streaming as time passes. I feel like we are doomed. We could see two tiers of streaming in the future: lower monthly subscription, but have to sit through ads; higher monthly subscription with either no commercials are far fewer that are still prohibited to skip.
You beautifully summed up the reality of cord cutting. Go ahead and cut...then a few months, and more credit card charges later, and realizing all the inconveniences for all the various streaming packages, to make up for what you miss from Sat or Cable, and you'll be scrambling for the ELECTRICAL TAPE TO PUT THE CORD BACK TOGETHER!!

Have you noticed some new shows have a bit at the beginning and/or end that can be cut out without affecting the story? They're making it easy to add more ads during future reruns.

They already started stealing some time several years ago by cutting opening themes and running the end credits over the last bit of the episode.
I watched the "Bionic Woman" on COZI tv on my local ota sub channel and the episode where Jamie first moved home to California like episode 1 or 2 in the series was on. She goes to her new apartment that was full of cobwebs and dust and she is going to clean it out bionically. Instead of showing her clean at bionic speed like I saw in the original episode and throwing out the old stuff out the window , they show her shake her head and we are on to the next scene where she is now clean and sitting in her parents house. So it is pretty bad when they cut out the "Bionic" scenes in the "Bionic Woman" , in order to include more commercials.

Married...with Children

Peg at video store with AL: Peg says something like "Some people just have no respect for other peoples property" *takes from stand a box of Raisonettes to mouth then puts it back*

I saw it on a channel where she says that, and grabs the box like she is going to buy it, and it cuts right there to the next scene with Bud.

I've always not liked watching reruns of shows in syndication on cable that I never saw first run. I'm always wondering if or what I'm missing.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I've always not liked watching reruns of shows in syndication on cable that I never saw first run. I'm always wondering if or what I'm missing.
That's one advantage of streaming or buying season sets.

I watched the "Bionic Woman" on COZI tv on my local ota sub channel and the episode where Jamie first moved home to California like episode 1 or 2 in the series was on. She goes to her new apartment that was full of cobwebs and dust and she is going to clean it out bionically. Instead of showing her clean at bionic speed like I saw in the original episode and throwing out the old stuff out the window , they show her shake her head and we are on to the next scene where she is now clean and sitting in her parents house. So it is pretty bad when they cut out the "Bionic" scenes in the "Bionic Woman" , in order to include more commercials.
I remember watching a rerun of 6MDM way back in the mid-90s on SciFi (spelling proper) when the death probe gets fired at by the farmer then cuts to the next scene, completely removing the scene of the probe picking up the gun and crushing it. So this crap of removing scenes for more commercials has been going on for a while.

Something that not many know is that until 1985 there used to a limit on how much advertising was allowed on broadcast channels per hour. The reason for the skyrocketing amount of infomercials and the number of commercial minutes per hour on regular programs on broadcast TV. The FCC still limits commercial time to 10.5 minutes per hour of advertisements on E/I programming aimed at Children on broadcast channels, but not regular entertainment programming.

What I love is that I am paying to watch tv and I still have to watch commercials. Same on Sirius Xm for the more current music channels. Started with NO commercials and now it is on almost all of them except the older theme decade channels. Just sucks.

Reactions: TheKrell
What I love is that I am paying to watch tv and I still have to watch commercials. Same on Sirius Xm for the more current music channels. Started with NO commercials and now it is on almost all of them except the older theme decade channels. Just sucks.
It's like a drug dealer. First taste or two is free, then the price creeps up on you. Guess the same could be said when new bars open up and realize those cheap drinks they offer to gain business don't make enough money and start charging more and more... There is a price equilibrium that is not always consumer friendly, and commercials are the best case on that.

Reactions: sam_gordon
I don't know if they're still around, but there used to be devices that would play shows a little faster than real time. This allowed for an extra 30 seconds (or maybe a minute) of commercial time for every 30 minutes of show.

I don't know if they're still around, but there used to be devices that would play shows a little faster than real time. This allowed for an extra 30 seconds (or maybe a minute) of commercial time for every 30 minutes of show.
I remember watching Star Trek TNG episode reruns back in the late 90s that I think used that technology. I couldn't tell that they were sped up until I compared the run of the episode from my original VHS recordings of them.

I am in no way defending them, sometimes though they actually skip a commercial time to make that portion of the program more contiguous. They then add more at another point. Shows like Suits do that. This is going to be interesting if they insist on even more commercials.

What they are doing is back end loading the commercials. They show less commercials up front to get you interested in the show or movie, then switch to 6 minute segments on the last portion of the show. once they got you hooked. Sometimes when I accidently hit the skip 30 seconds button once too many times, I just pickup the show and don't feel that I missed anything. Also, at the end of most shows there is at least two minutes of no story BS, about the characters after the shows storyline has ended. Also, easy to skip.

Reactions: Tampa8

Radio does this with songs, in fact even some talk shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts