tv one in hd?

smitty23

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
california
i just recently signed up for Dish... i am loving the line up especially the new movie channel epix. one thing that i did noticed is that Dish doesn't carry TV ONE @ all. i know when i had Comcast it was in their line up. Dish needs to carry this channel. it's the only channel along with a few others that is missing from their vast line up. come on DISH!!!!!

:welcome

Glad you're enjoying the move to Dish. I switched from DirecTV a few years ago and more and more it looks like the right choice. I missed Logo and BETJ (now Centric) from my DTV days and eventually Dish added them, so there's always hope. I know of no plans to add TVOne currently, however.

i hear what your saying. it's funny because when you go on to dish website under their online guide they have TV One as being on ch 904? which is weird because there is not a channel 904 on the actual dishnetwork guide. i am just going to sit back and relax i feel that adding this channel would be a good look for dish, but i am not goioing to hold my breath.

tv one in hd

no relation to BET, infact it's the opposite of BET in many ways. if you scroll through the online guide it's there as clear as day TV ONE CH.904. i just found it intresting that's all, my hopes was a little high there SMH.

Is it related to BET? I looked at it on line and it sure seems to be a lot like BET.

Although generalizations are difficult, the difference is generational. BET attracts a younger audience, TV One an older one. BET used to have more mainstream programming - Thea, Amen, etc., but now seems to specialize in shows like Spring Break Beach party. TV One has shows like the Jeffersons, Good Times, the Hugleys etc.

no relation to BET, infact it's the opposite of BET in many ways. if you scroll through the online guide it's there as clear as day TV ONE CH.904. i just found it intresting that's all, my hopes was a little high there SMH.

The TV One on Dish is a South Asian network. On a side note, Dish does not go out of its way to add programming for American minorities. Desi did not last (it should have been added as an AEP network and not ala carte), it took forever for Dish to get Logo, even now they refuse to advertise that they have it - not even sure it is on their website. and I think Dish has BET because it is part of the MTV networks.

The TV One on Dish is a South Asian network. On a side note, Dish does not go out of its way to add programming for American minorities. Desi did not last (it should have been added as an AEP network and not ala carte), it took forever for Dish to get Logo, even now they refuse to advertise that they have it - not even sure it is on their website. and I think Dish has BET because it is part of the MTV networks.

Dish has BET because a LOT of their subscribers want it. There are plenty of MTV/Viacom channels Dish doesn't carry (e.g. VH1 Soul, MTV's The Hits, etc.) TV One has a fraction of BET's audience. Centric is Viacom's answer to TV One. I seem to recall a posting here saying that Charlie felt that TVOne cost too much for material that was available (and much of TVOne's programming is) elsewhere.

I read that TVOne has even less HD than BET. However, I would definitely love to have TVOne, VH1 Soul and the Gospel Music Channel added to Dish.

hmmm that doesn't make sense... coming from comcast and being able to view the channel on their system tv one had a lot to offer. i am a huge fan of old sitcoms i.e african american sitcoms. so instead of going out to best buy to purchase box sets of thoes shows they were on t.v one. i think charlie ergen, and dave shull need to take a closer look at what people actually like to watch. if they had their ears to the street or their assistants ear to the streets they would see that variety is great, and surely welcome.

If I am not mistaken, TV ONE is owned by Comcast. I think Comcast and DISH don't have the best business relationship in the world.

BET has been on Dish for a very long time. I actually have Thea tapes from when I had my 1000 and it used to send a IR signal to the VCR to record, so it definitely has been a while and certainly before MTV started all the new specialty channels. BET has become a showcase (dumping ground) for former UPN shows. Its focus has become young, hip, urban, black audiences (like UPN). And, we all know how UPN turned out. I seriously doubt if I were young, hip, black and urban that I would be spending Sat night watching Mo'nique - I'd think I would have more exciting things to do than watching TV. Therefore I doubt if its ratings are really stellar.

TVOne is what BET used to be - family entertainment featuring black families, which I think would appeal to more than just black audiences, with shows like the Jefferences, the Hugleys, Good Times, etc. I remember when BET used to show programs like What's Happening, the Jeffersons, Thea (my favorite), etc.

BTW, Mr. Ergen also once said that Dish was a family company and there would never be a place for adult channels on it - however, values met economics. So, I am not sure that the reason for TVOne's absence is duplication - look at the TLC family of networks. If Shalom in the Home can find its way on Green, you know there is a lot of recycling of shows, but we have nearly the full suite from TLC on Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts