TV signal scrambling in a loop

Crockett123

Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
Oregon
I've been away from home for a few weeks and when I returned last night and turned on the TV I encountered a problem which acts like it's with Dish Network.
At first the video portion as normal but after about 5 minutes (or less) the video froze but the audio continued as normal. Then the video signal scrambled for a few minutes (audio still fine) - then the TV rebooted. When the TV came back on the video was normal for a few minutes then it all started again in a loop. I've allowed the TV to stay on and it continually does that in a loop - time after time.
Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Crockett123

If it's actually the TV that is rebooting then I would bet money the problem is with the TV itself.

Does it do the same thing when watching another input?

Are you experiencing an issue with the TV or receiver rebooting? If it is the receiver please try plugging the receiver directly into the wall if it is plugged into a surge protector.

I assume it's the receiver that's rebooting because it says "Downloading program guide" Anyway the receiver was plugged into a surge protector so I plugged it into the wall and it's rebooting now. We'll see what happens.

It's still doing the same thing after plugging the receiver into the wall.
How do I tell if it's the receiver that's rebooting or the TV?

OK -- I set the TV to the antenna input and it appears to be OK – at least it hasn’t rebooted yet and it’s been 15 minutes with the local TV channel still on. So it appears to be a problem with the receiver. Thanks for the suggestion – I hadn’t thought of that!

So it looks like I should call for a Dish receiver repair!

Handshake issues can cause exactly what you describe, but overheating or a bad hard drive can also. In the past with one TV I would hear the audio but the pic was frozen, and eventually the receiver would reboot. After some experimenting I found it was the HDMI connection.

Even though it is the same TV you have had that never had this problem (I assume), it could be an HDMI cable gone bad, if you can connect with a different HDMI cable or composite and see what happens. If it is warm in your house put a small fan to blow across the receiver where the air vents are and make sure the receiver is in the open, nothing blocking the sides and nothing on top of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts