tv tuner card inputs

jobadiah

Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
Hello, has any one tried this? Thought i had better ask before I blew up the computer. Have a simple hauppauge tv tuner card installed. It works with either my dish satellite coax hooked into it or comcast cable fed in. Since my dish feed is tuned from channel 73 and channel 73 is not tuned in when I have the comcast cable plugged in I was wondering if I would be able to join these two feeds and plug them into my tuner card at the same time (like a reverse splitter). If anyone has has gotten this to work I would love to know and I would be totally ga ga if the reverse splitter concept actually did work. Thanks Mike

Have a simple hauppauge tv tuner card installed. It works with either my dish satellite coax hooked into it
Do you mean you run the coax from the LNB to your tuner card? Don't think
this should work unless you live next door to your local station towers :)

Cable allocations of channels is different from OTA/satellite receiver output. Channel 73 on OTA/sat output is not the same as 73 from cable.

my ati all in wonder works wonderfully with mediacom cable. I had it set up on that a long while back... nowadays, I am just doing fta, so I've got it with the signal coming out of the satellite receiver.

One way I think you may be able to do what you are wanting to do is possibly use your satellite receiver's anteanna in and plug the cable in to that... maybe use an a/b to swap from ota signals to cable...

I think, am not sure, but think, that the cable signals should flow perfect through the satellite receiver in to your tv through the receiver's tv out... do a y cord from receiver's tv out, one branch to tv and another to computer... I've got a funky setup at the moment... where the all in wonder is taking signals in from the pansat's tv out, and is also sending signals in to a vcr which is then pumping signals back to the tv in the living room over a long coax run... so I've got two long coax cables going from computer to living room... one to get signal out of there and one to get it in there. With this set up I can see the computer screen on the main tv. Sound doesn't work on main coax for some oddball reason (used to a long time ago), so I get around that by running long speaker extension cables (you can get em at radio shack) from the pc to audigy that's pulling dolby out of the fta receiver. I used a substantial amount of electric tape to make darn sure where the speaker extensions connect outside is waterproof... The radio shack I went too only had something like 20 foot cords. The run that I'm doing is about 80 ft.

I think, if you do set it up, it'd be something like

lnb->satellite reciever's satellite in
ota antenna->satellite receiver's antenna in on A of an A/B switch
cable->cable box->satellite receiver's anteanna in on B of the A/B Switch

Satellite Receiver---->y connector

y connector -->computer on one branch, tv on the other.

If you are using 73 for your satellite connection from your satellite receiver, I will assume you have a dual tuner DISH receiver using CATV freq 73 for the TV2 modulated output. If so, then yes you can combined the two signals using a standard splitter backwards. That said, even though you cannot see a TV channel at 73 from your cable co, does not mean they are not using that freq. They may be using that for Digital signals or internet. You can try and see what happens. If your Satellite 73 turns bad when you mix in the CATV cable, then you will need to either install a low pass filter on the CATV cable, which will block all CATV freq above the the cut off point (LPF are available with differant cut off points) OR,
You will have to change the TV2 freq to a higher channel. A channel not used by CATV, either analog or digital.

You can get a LPF from most decent local independant installers. Not the guys working directly for Dish or DirecTV, but someone who does custom installations. They cost usually about $30 to $40.

http://www.dbsinstall.com/Search/installersearch2.asp

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question, got some free time today and hooked up both the cable feed and the sat feed. Had the sat feed working on the tuner card and when I plugged in the cable feed I lost the signal. My cable channels go from 2 to 68 and then pick back at 96,98,99 and then start again with 2. Think I will try and assign a satellite channel between 110 and 125 and see how that works. I appreciate all of your replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)