tv tuner not working with tv2 on receiver model 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

himat408

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
bay area
i just got a usb tv tuner and want to hook it up with my tv2 but don't know how to do it. tried scanning for channels but always got 0 results. their are two modes of ATSC antenna and ATSC cable. tried both but still doesn't work. the coaxial cord works perfectly with the tv and is currently set up on channel 26 and over-air. their is no channels to et it on under 26. 26 through 73 are for over-air and 74 through 125 are cable setting. i have a kworld ub435-q tv tuner and the 622 receiver. wondering if anyone knows how to use tv tuner with tv2

That particular Kworld tuner stick is ATSC-only, so you will never get a thing trying to scan for the TV2 RF output. All Dish receivers have NTSC RF outputs.

can i at least connect it with the tv1
No you cannot! ATSC transmitters cost Big Bucks. The only STB of any variety that I have ever heard of which can send out an ATSC signal was the Dish 6000, and it was a special case because it was essentially remodulating the MPEG-2 transport stream. All Dish HD programming is now mpeg-4, so that's a non-starter because the receiver would have to do real-time transcoding. Maybe for SD programs...

There are a couple of things you might want to do instead of feeding the 622 signal into your ATSC tuner stick.

1) Buy an NTSC (analog) or hybrid (NTSC/ATSC) tuner stick. NTSC-only tuner sticks are much cheaper than ATSC tuner sticks. K-world also makes a really really cheap DVD-copy baseband-video NTSC stick. I won't say "tuner stick" because it has none. However, your 622 has A/V outputs just like a DVD player, which would work.

2) Plug the 622 HDMI output directly into your computer monitor. Obviously this requires a monitor with an HDMI input ;) Maybe you have one already.

3) Buy a Slingbox or Hava "place shifting" box, and run the player on your PC. This has the advantage of allowing you to view your 622 anywhere you have a PC or laptop on the net, not just the PC local to your 622.

Since ATSC broadcasts are sent in the clear, any STB that puts out a valid signal would also have to be in the clear. Content providers have serious heartburn when sending their HD programming in the clear. So, because of DRM issues, I doubt we will ever see ATSC transmitters inside STBs. And before anybody asks, I have no idea how broadcasters get away with this (sending HD programming in the clear). This is a good use of your K-world ATSC tuner stick. I have an earlier version of your model, a 340U, and I use it all I want to record gorgeous OTA HD broadcasts, edit out the commercials, etc., and view them again wherever I like.

Last edited:
Yes, that USB tuner stick is analog, so it would work. I wouldn't pay that much, though, for an obsolete NTSC tuner.

Your ATSC tuner stick is good for OTA digital broadcasts (and unencrypted QAM digital cable). See my post above for what I do with mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)