TV Turns itself on

dallison

Original poster
Feb 18, 2022
Oracle, AZ
My Dish and TV come on at 6:00am in the morning each day and it comes on with the same channel each morning regardless of the channel we were watching when we turned it off.

My Dish and TV come on at 6:00am in the morning each day and it comes on with the same channel each morning regardless of the channel we were watching when we turned it off.
The channel it's on I can tell you is the in the settings, under Power, it's set for Smart Channel instead of Last Channel. And/or you may have accidentally set an Auto-Tune and with HDMI-CEC set, it's tuning to that channel and powering the TV on. Go to your DVR/Timers and see what's in there

The channel it's on I can tell you is the in the settings, under Power, it's set for Smart Channel instead of Last Channel. And/or you may have accidentally set an Auto-Tune and with HDMI-CEC set, it's tuning to that channel and powering the TV on. Go to your DVR/Timers and see what's in there
This calls for an experiment. I’m going to set an auto tune for early in the morning to see if it forces one of my TV’s to turn on. It would be a good prank for the guest room… LOL!

I just went to Power and changed it to Last Channel. I don't see an Auto -Tune or HDMI-CEC settings. Where would I look for that? I did go to DVR/Timers and there isn't really anything there. Just DVD timing (start 1 minute early, etc.).

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just went to Power and changed it to Last Channel. I don't see an Auto -Tune or HDMI-CEC settings. Where would I look for that? I did go to DVR/Timers and there isn't really anything there. Just DVD timing (start 1 minute early, etc.).
Sounds like your AutoTunes are good. Go to Remote Control settings to check your HDMI-CEC setting.

Reactions: TheKrell
This calls for an experiment. I’m going to set an auto tune for early in the morning to see if it forces one of my TV’s to turn on. It would be a good prank for the guest room… LOL!
Yes, that could be interesting.
I have an auto tune timer to set the channel to the local news every morning. I was a little surprised to see that it also turns the hopper on (green light is on already when I come down in the morning). In my case, it is not turning my surround receiver or my TV on, even though I have CEC turned on everywhere. Of course, I'm sure that other configurations and brands respond differently. In my case, I don't want it to turn anything on anyhow. I have automation that turns the TV/surround on when I walk by it in the morning, along with some lights and other stuff.

If you don't want your TV to turn on when you press the DISH remote power button set HDMI-CEC to off. Set the Limited Mode to Off.
Thank you for the input. This (turning HDMI off) sounds like it's not related to turning itself in the morning on the same channel each morning. Would you agree? I understand your comments on the HDMI-CEC which if turned to OFF, my remote won't turn on the TV. Just the receiver. I'd rather they both come on when hitting power button on remote like now.
What does the Limited Mode do? Why would I want that ON or OFF?

Interestingly, I call Dish and the person had no ideas.

Thank you so much for your comments. I do appreciate it!

Thank you for the input. This (turning HDMI off) sounds like it's not related to turning itself in the morning on the same channel each morning. Would you agree? I understand your comments on the HDMI-CEC which if turned to OFF, my remote won't turn on the TV. Just the receiver. I'd rather they both come on when hitting power button on remote like now.
What does the Limited Mode do? Why would I want that ON or OFF?

Interestingly, I call Dish and the person had no ideas.

Thank you so much for your comments. I do appreciate it!
Leave the CEC on and see how goes it. Limited mode prevents lots of the remote buttons not to work. Can be used for little kids or the elderly from pressing wrong buttons.

Limited mode lets your Dish remote control the mute and volume on a sound bar or a surround sound while in SAT mode. It disables the volume and mute for the remote on your TV if you use some other device for audio..

To see if there are any Auto Tune timers go to Menu/DVR then use Skip Forward button to get to Timers tab. Look for any with Type AutoTune.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have automation that turns the TV/surround on when I walk by it in the morning, along with some lights and other stuff.

Does your automation control the power to your TV? The Hopper wouldn't be able to turn the TV on if it had no power.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

My was doing the same ...If I recall the fix for me was to disable CEC on the Hooper or my AVR...couldn't have both on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)