TV upgrade wiring question

calvin12

Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I have a VIP722 receiver feeding an HD TV (TV1) and an SDTV (TV2). Currently TV2 is fed from the sat to a diplexer to the TV. If I upgrade TV2 to an HDTV can I just swap the TV out or would I need to get a new box? Can the 722 control 2 HDTVs?

Thanks

You can just swap TVs but you will still have SD from the TV2 tuner as you do now. FWIW, viewing SD on a HD TV varies between acceptable pq to just plain awful. You'll find that the pq of SD on your old SD CRT TV was much better than it will be on the new HD TV. JMHO. If you can get an HDMI cable to the new TV you can mirror the TV1 signal & enjoy HD on it. Same channel/same time as the primary TV of course. Use the component out for HD on the primary or pick up a powered HDMI splitter.

Ed

Thats what I thought, this will be a major rewire. currently have the 722 running those 2 tv's (with DVR) and a 2nd box running an SDTV in the basement (No DVR). I hoped to make TV 1 and 2 HD on the same box so that I could watch things in both rooms in HD from the same DVR. In this case it looks like I'll need 3 boxes in house and have separate DVRs. Although I could lose the SD box and watch TV1 DVR in the basement but that's not the best solution. TV1 and 2 are the primary TVs and would be best on the same DVR.

i think i heard sling is supposed to have a new device this fall that will plug into USB port (on VIP receivers) and will deliver hd to another hdtv over home network using tv2 tuner. but i may have misunderstood. haven't heard anything lately and don't know what it's called.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts