TV2 Issues

Cephalopod

Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I just upgraded my reciever upstairs from SD (controlled 2 TV's) to an HD Vip222. The reason for this change was an upgrade to an HD TV upstairs. Initially I hooked the SD reciever up to the new TV. The only difference was I now had to lengthen the coax to reach the new satillite and new TV and the new tv was hooked up via S-video. With the new set-up TV one worked fine, but TV2 did not work at all. There was simply fuzz. A few days later I got the new VIP222 in the mail and hooked it up to the new TV via HDMI. TV1 works great, but TV2 is still not working.

Question. I am guessing I hooked something up wrong in the back of the reciever. There are two cables that come out of the floor that I think are ran from a DP34. I hooked both to a barrel connector and more coax to lengthen them. Then one conncets to the sat1 input and the other to the sat2 input. the sat 2 input is split via diplexer and also runs to the ch29-60 or something like that (I am not sure exactly what that input is). The small antenna is hooked into the back of the reciever as well. Yet I get no picture on TV2. I have tried the modulator setup and changed the channel to 75 (was previously set to 73 via the house cable system), and others. There is no change I just get fuzz from the TV2. I have the sat set to dual mode. I dont know what else to do. Can any one help? It worked before I got the new TV so I cannot understand what went wrong.

TV 2 is connected to the RF out labeled Home Distribution. Get rid of that diplexer...you are inputting an output. It's all explained in the manual.

I could be misunderstanding, but if you have a diplexor on the sat2 cable coming in that is also going to the tv2 out "Home Distribution" output, you are sending the signal from tv2 out back down the sat2 input cable. At some point you need another diplexor to get the signal back out of the sat2 line and connect it to the coax going to your tv2.

I could have done this as my feed to my tv2 was in the same place as my switch. So using two diplexors, one on each end, I could have sent my tv2 out down my sat line to the basement where I had the line waiting to be connected. Instead I chose to wire direcly from TV2 out to my "tv2".

From what I understand you guys are saying the TV2 has to be connected to the reciever via a coax?? Is the diplexor necessary? I need to connect one cable into the Sat1 and the other into the sat2 as they come out of the floor. The diplexor was on the Sat2 cable previous to the new setup and I believe it was hooked into the 3rd port that says TV1, but am not sure of this. I know this worked previous to getting the new TV with no cable running into the other room to the TV2 and precisely the same # of cables entering the back of the reciever. I guess I still just dont understand where everything needs to be hooked up.

So I just spoke to dishnetwork and they told me I needed a separator. The guy said the cable that comes in from the floor should go into a diplexor then from there one end should go into the home distribution output and the other should go into the separator. From here there should be two cables, one into sat 1 and one into sat 2. How did this work before without a separator and now I suddenly need one?

Randall, you are seriously the man. I have talked to 2 ppl at dishnetwork today and gotten the above responses from those above and everyone acted like I was crazy. Your diagram was exactly the way it had been configured previously. I simply had the diplexor hooked to the wrong input. Thanks a bunch man!!

Cephalopod,
Actually the picture is exactly what I described (two diplexors), so call me crazy, but I wasn't wrong. I chose not to do this, because I had cable laying around I could fish in the walls for free, but I would have had to buy two diplexors to accomplish the same thing.
Notice in the diagram there are in fact two, one by the receiver, one by the switch.
I guess so much for trying to help.

Sorry BPeter, you are right. I guess I had to see the diagram to understand it completely. I am not experienced at all in this area so I had a hard time picturing what you were describing. Sorry if I offended you and thanks for your input.

Cephalopod,
Actually the picture is exactly what I described (two diplexors), so call me crazy, but I wasn't wrong. I chose not to do this, because I had cable laying around I could fish in the walls for free, but I would have had to buy two diplexors to accomplish the same thing.
Notice in the diagram there are in fact two, one by the receiver, one by the switch.
I guess so much for trying to help.
Illustrations trump descriptions. Dump the sour grapes.

Randall, you are seriously the man. I have talked to 2 ppl at dishnetwork today and gotten the above responses from those above and everyone acted like I was crazy. Your diagram was exactly the way it had been configured previously. I simply had the diplexor hooked to the wrong input. Thanks a bunch man!!

Glad you got it working. I also believe in illustrations and diagrams for the purpose of troubleshooting. People visualize their configurations a lot better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts