TVPredictions.com says "Voom Is Still Doomed"

cyuhnke said:
I kind of have similar concerns. I have been watching Voom for a few months, hoping they would help push HD. I did not get Voom until they started offering a leasing setup instead of making us buy the equipment. Hopefully there are more people like me out there, at least for Voom's sake, to drive up the subscriber base. DirectV still wants you to lay out $750 for a HD receiver, then $1000 if you want the HD DVR. I'd be with DirecTV in a flash if they would lease their equipment. I think Dish Network has a leasing program, but you would need a seperate HD decoder for OTAs.
Thats not true the 811 offers both OTA and Dish HD programming. But it has more bugs in it than a Orkan mans career.

juan said:
I guess you guys never experienced the torture of having cablevision as your local cable company> If you had none of you would have evre signed up for their subrate overpriced satellite service
yea, I am a Cablevision HDTV Subscriber... and I also took the VOOM Plunge. I enjoy my HDTV with Cablevision more so then I enjoyed it with D*....

Experiences vary, however I am not trying to discredit your opinion.

I just love seeing "dooms day" predications for VOOM as it totally reminds me of the early days of Echostar and the cross chat occurring on some of the early DBS forums in 1996. I heard it all, how Echostar would not see 100K subscribers, how Charlie was going bankrupt and how DISH would not last one year. The postings boiled down to either corrupt industry naysayers who worked for the cable lobbyists or the same lonely DirecTV sales guys posting tall tales of E*'s future demise and criticizing those sub 10K that signed up.

While it is true that Primestar and Alphastar failed within the first couple years of launching, inherent older technology, size of dish and pricing doomed these services. With Voom's satellite real estate, HD picture quality, attractive pricing and future PVR launch, I think we’ll see a huge growth period in the fall much like XM in 2002. Again I remember hearing cranky radio lobbyists at NAB saying that XM would be chapter 11 in 18 months :) haha – they were very wrong

scott5626 said:
Thats not true the 811 offers both OTA and Dish HD programming. But it has more bugs in it than a Orkan mans career.
Sorry, I didn't mean to spread untruths about Dish. I didn't know about that particular receiver.
If/when I get my locals, I would be a big Voom booster. I still think Voom has to shore up its non-HD programming. Voom can't survive on just HD early adopters, especially at a 50$/mo price point (base pkg plus rental). It has got to start offering more traditional cable channels to get your affluent but not so tech savvy customer. The rumored Sports Pkg., even if it costs a little extra, would going a long way toward helping Voom. Plus, Voom could really leverage that Sports pkg. Cable companies are stuck with ESPN in their basic tiers because it's always been this way. And I beleive ESPN is easily the most expensive "basic" channel for carriers. Voom doesn't have to try and bury ESPN in its basic pkg if it doesn't want to. Just my opinion which obviously is not infallable.

Why doesn't Voom turn into a provider for hd content and sell the service to Dish and Directv as an add on service that could be used with existing hd receivers?

With Dish they could use the same 61.5 sat and it would fit in to the 2 dish delivery. It would be a little harder for Directv to do the same but not impossible. Voom could also be a service by itself. This way Voom could focus on adding as much hd channels as they want and turn itself into the best hd provider out there. Then Dish and Directv could buy their content from Voom instead of crowding all the hd channels and not providing all the hd channels out there on their respective services. This would ensure Voom staying in business and they could be getting paid by the two dbs providers for their content. The satellite companies could make their customers happy and everyone would win. Voom is a niche product and it needs an outlet for customers . What better way than using the existing sat companies for their outlet.

Now if we could just do the same for a independent company that did nothing but locals for the two sat companies. This would insure the best quality locals and we could get our pristine dvd quality back on our sat systems. I suggested before that the two sat providers ( Dish and Directv ) could spin off a company that did nothing but locals and they could get better quality locals and we could end the duplication effort in both companies and end up with all the locals for the country done by this year.

So in conclusion what do we have ?

Independent hd content provider used for both sat companies and independent hd users: Voom
Independent locals company used for both sat companies and would end duplication efforts. A spin off company made up of both sat companies as a joint effort to finish all locals in the country.

Come on Voom , Dish and Directv, think about it. Think of all the bandwith you could save if you worked this out as a solution for all concerned. The picture quality would improve for all channels . The locals company would insure the best quality fiber optic cables for locals the result good quality picture for locals. Voom would insure the best quality hd channels , the result the best picuture for hd viewers.

Remember it's not you against each other it is satellite against cable. Work together for the good of all satellite viewers out there and you will rack up the customers from cable and insure the future for satellite. :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts