TWC installed yesterday, ordering dish today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sjones

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
twc was installed yesterday and since the pq is so bad, I decided to go with dishnetwork. hopefully i'll get some of the picture quality i had with voom.

sjones said:
twc was installed yesterday and since the pq is so bad, I decided to go with dishnetwork. hopefully i'll get some of the picture quality i had with voom.

I was unable to get Dish installed at my apartment due to grounding issues. Didn't want to buy the HD receiver/HD DVR from DirecTV as well as most likely face the same grounding issue with them, hence had no other choice but to get TWC installed at my place.

I got the HD package and the HD Tier package from them (DigiPic 4000 package). I'm sure the pq is going to suck on the Sony 55 LCD RPTV compared to VOOM, but its better than not having anything after buying such an expensive TV. I don't get Comcast in my area either.

Could you tell me how the HD channels showed up on your TV? What kind of TV do you have?

Thanks.

Why Jimmy why??? :(

Sazkin said:
I was unable to get Dish installed at my apartment due to grounding issues. Didn't want to buy the HD receiver/HD DVR from DirecTV as well as most likely face the same grounding issue with them, hence had no other choice but to get TWC installed at my place.

I got the HD package and the HD Tier package from them (DigiPic 4000 package). I'm sure the pq is going to suck on the Sony 55 LCD RPTV compared to VOOM, but its better than not having anything after buying such an expensive TV. I don't get Comcast in my area either.

Could you tell me how the HD channels showed up on your TV? What kind of TV do you have?

Thanks.

Why Jimmy why??? :(

I have a sony 60" LCD HDTV (KDF60WF655) and a panasonic 42" plasma and the picture quality on both with digipic 4000 is terrible. The HD channels on twc look like the sd channels did on voom.

Sazkin said:
I was unable to get Dish installed at my apartment due to grounding issues.

Anything stopping you from buying a Dish Network system and installing it yourself?

costanza said:
Anything stopping you from buying a Dish Network system and installing it yourself?

I called the only local retailer for DIsh Network and they said they do not do apartments. The maintenance guy said that the water faucets were grounded, but they won't let me use those as grounding source or let me drive an electrical rod through the ground outside the apartment. I cant alter anything outside the rented premises for personal reasons.

I have the option of buying the Dish equipment (from Sears?) and installing it myself, without any grounding (just like my VOOM equipment), but right now I'm not keen on buying any equipment.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and live with TWC till I buy a house or move in to another apartment complex that does not have a grounding issue.

Did they give you a CableCARD or a HD DVR? The CSR told me the installer would be getting both and would decide which would be a better option for my set up during installation. I'm going to call them and tell them to get the SA3250HD DVR, since thats the one with the DVI out. I don't know much about CableCARD technology...seems like it eliminates the need for a receiver, but you can't record any shows.

Now I just hope these guys don't run in to any installation problems. I have RoadRunner at my place already.

Thanks.

Grounding issue

Run a ground wire inside yourself, get a grounding clamp from the hardware store, put it on a cold water line (assuming you have copper lines), done! :)

I'm going to call another Dish Network retailer who is about 30 miles from my place and see if they'll do the installation and take care of the grounding issue another way (like srd1 suggested). If they say they can, I'm cancelling the TWC installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)