[TWC] South Dayton Ohio subs: How does the HD look? Are analog channels acceptable?

Captain Spaulding

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio Area
I'm about ready to pull the trigger and switch to TWC from satellite. I'm a big high def fan and am wondering what you all think of the HD picture quality here in the South of Dayton area. Also, are the channels that are still analogue very noisy?
Thanks!

I've never heard anyone complain about the quality of TW's HD channels. All reports indicate that TW does not compress or change the resolution of the channels but retransmit them to us as they receive them.

The analog channels are nowhere near the quality of the same channels shown digitally on Dish or DirecTV. I had D* years ago, then E*, then TW so I can honestly compare Dish to TW on the "standard" channels. If it's any consolation, TW will be starting digital simulcasting in a couple of months and from what others have said, it makes a HUGE improvement on the former analog channels.

I'm in Dayton, by the way.

I pretty much 100% concur with Hall. As a south Dayton customer (Kettering), I think the HD looks great (although I would love to have ESPN2HD). Cable analog has always left one wanting more, but the SD digital cable channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) look great.

mlb said:
Cable analog has always left one wanting more, but the SD digital cable channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) look great.
Yeah, I'm always quite pleased with how good that Cinemax, for example, looks. If channels 2 - 78 look this good once digital simulcasting starts, it will be great.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it! One more question for you: do any of you have the HD DVR? If so, how do you like it? Is it the 8000 or 8300 model?

Both of us have the 8300HD. I'd strongly recommend it over the 8000HD. It operates "faster" because of a more powerful CPU and more RAM. It also has newer software (I think). I have an 8000 (non-HD) and 8300HD currently. Before I had an 8000 and 8000HD and they ran the same software revs. Now my 8300 has much newer software than than the 8000.

I've never had a TiVo, so I can't compare it to that. I did have a 522 Dish DVR which was a very nice box though it had constant audio/video sync problems. I used to have that with the 8000HD but I believe a software rev fixed that. Important thing to me is I tell it to record a show and it does.

TW HD in Cincinnati is pretty good for the local channels. I can't easily see a difference between OTA HD and cable HD. However keep in mind that I watch HD on a 19" computer monitor set to 1280x1024 resolution. It is awesome but it could be "awesomer" if I got a better monitor and I'm sure I could see a difference then.

All in all, if you OTA reception isn't any good, then TW would probably be fine. However if you do live in south Dayton, you can probably see all the towers got all the local stations close to Miamisburg and Carlisle from your front porch! A cheap set of rabbit ears could get all the HD in your area. I have a cheap set of rabbit ears here 10 miles north of Downtown Cinti. and I can get WDTN, enough signal from WHIO and WKEF to trip the autosearch, but not enough to get a stable pix, noting from the WB station and sometimes WRGT. WPTO (Oxford) comes in perfectly with a 90% signal, and I get nothing from WPTD (Dayton).

Use a cheap set of rabbit ears :)

See ya
Tony

Tony ...yep, Im very close to the towers and can pick up the Dayton locals over the air using a coat hanger! I want to be able to record in Hi Def though, so that's why I'm asking about the DVR.

I live in Beavercreek. My wife and I went to a Super Bowl party back in February. The couple there had a 42" or so HD TV with TWC. I have a 34" Toshiba HDTV with OTA locals with an antenna. For some reason, the picture quality did not impress me while watching the Super Bowl at his house. Maybe it was the cable...maybe it was the TV. I'm not too sure. Anyway, I have decided to stick it out with Dish...even though I have to pay $299 for the right to lease a 622 HD DVR. I may live to regret it...but won't upgrade until football season gets a bit closer. :rolleyes:

I'd switch to Dish right now if it weren't for the $300 lease fee.

The HD stations look good on TWC, but they are always way behind the curve for adding the channels (ESPN2HD still not here, etc.).

fenwah said:
The couple there had a 42" or so HD TV with TWC. For some reason, the picture quality did not impress me while watching the Super Bowl at his house.
I'd suspect his TV's settings or his incoming cable feed. I have TW's HD *and* an OTA receiver and can tell absolutely no difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)