TWC vs Sinclair Battle Next??

Hopefully they’re pulled, Sincair sucks! I drove past their studios today on Hertel and Elmwood and flipped the bird as I went past. My Network TV is a such as waste and Fox is pretty crappy these days. I wonder if the boys at Intertech will spread any FUD this time around. Last time TW and Sinclair went at it they had a nice sign on the front of their store warning people that TW WILL pull Sinclair owned stations and advised everyone to switch to Dish Network. Not only did that not happen, but at that time that would have only effected those served by Time Warner in former Adelphia areas, outside of the immediate Buffalo and Niagara areas, the vast majority of the 8 county WNY area was never served by Adelphia to begin with therefore it wouldn’t have affected a lot of WNYers. Intertech better keep their yap shut this time around since they have no room to talk since Dish no longer has MSG.

If WNYO and WUTV are pulled, and I need a Fox fix, WUHF in Rochester is also owned by Sinclair so I won’t be able to watch them on QAM, but I think I still can get WYDC out of Elmira on unencrypted QAM on cable.

Well here in Cincinnati the paper just said, today, that TW users will lose channel 64 and some channels in Dayton including ABC local if they did not come to terms buy Jan 1.

Sinclair (illegally) owns both the Fox and ABC stations in my area. Probably less than 5% of the market is T-W cable. It left this state years ago, and has just a few towns over in KY and OH. Yet both stations are full of the typical "doomsday" ads. And they have full-page ads in the local newspaper, which is ONLY distributed in a small part of WV, and not in KY or OH. Meaning esentually ZERO of the people that see the ads have it apply to them. That is what we used to call "dumb money".

Sinclair is an awful company and whatever the issues, the other side is probably right.

Update on Sinclair / Time Warner dispute.
Radio & Television Business Report - Voice of the Broadcasting Industry
Sinclair, TWC break off negotiations, station carriage in jeopardy

29 December, 2010 04:00:00

Sinclair Broadcast Group has been locked in retransmission negotiations with Time Warner Cable, negotiations which it has stated all month did not seem to be going well. Now it says TWC is refusing to negotiate further, after rejecting a proposed per-subscriber carriage fee increase of about a dime, without offering a counter-proposal. The stations are expected to disappear from TWC cable lineups as the ball falls in Times Square.

Earlier in December 2010, TWC had rejected arbitration unless a hearing was set up denying the arbitrator access to crucial financial information.

Sinclair said in a statement that it was offering TWC a deal that was equal or less than that agreed to by other TWC competitors, including satcasters DISH Network and DirecTV, and cable operators Charter and Mediacom. It was also asking for less than is paid many lesser-watched cable channels.

This is gonna be quite an interesting battle. TWC claims they have the right to retransmit Fox network programing. I imagine they will be handing out rabbit ears again, just like they did when they had to pull LIN broadcasting stations a couple of years ago. Only difference in this case; basically everyone in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area can get both of the Sinclair channels OTA quite easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)